2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Harmonic Balancer, Deeper Oil & Trans Pans

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:21 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Harmonic Balancer, Deeper Oil & Trans Pans

Hey all,
I've got some questions about the items in the title.

I have always wanted to know the when or why you would replace the stock harmonic balancer with an aftermarket balancer. Now I know all race organizations require an approved harmonic balancer so that is one reason. But what about us guys on the street? Why would I want to replace my stock unit for an aftermarket one?

Hughes Engines has oil pans for our engines and I am thinking about either the 7 or 8 quart pan. I know more oil better cooling and stays cleaner longer. What if any are other reasons?

Deeper tranny pans, I have been told that if I went with a deeper pan when climbing a steep hill, ledge, water fall or side of my house that it would keep the tranny from running out of fluid. Is this a wives tail? Or is there some truth to it? It sucks when you have your nose almost straight up and your tranny won't engage anymore because it is not picking up fluid anymore. The other trick I was told to do was to run the tranny 1/2 quart over full. I have never tried it so lets hear your ideas or methods that you have found to work.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:48 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

The rubber sandwich used in stock balancers deteriorate over time and can cause the balancer to fail/come apart.

I run an 8 quart Milodon oil pan, oil pump pickup and braided dipstick tube on my current 5.9 motor, along with a MOPAR Performance windage tray. I just like the cheap insurance of the added cooler oil, especially when towing. I also run the pan at about 7 quarts of oil to help keep oil off the crank.

As for the transmission oil pan, I run a deep cast aluminum pan to help keep the fluid cooler so that the transmission will last longer.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I think if I were putting a deeper pan on the engine/trans of an off-road rig, I would most certainly also install skid plates for them..... They tend to hang a bit lower, putting them potentially in harms way. (and that would end your trip right quick.)

I never had any issues with my auto trans not wanting to play at severe angles, but then, I don't think I have ever had it much beyond 50* in any event. Think I would be tempted, if I were going to be doing such things, to simply go with a manual trans, then you don't have to worry about it.

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer, Deeper Oil & Trans Pans