2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Death Wobble???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:35 PM
DodgeRam23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble???

i have a bad shaking in my whole truck the front end is all new (ball joints, U joints, wheel bearing, and track bar and tie rods) the tires are balanced and rims are not bent, the axles aren't bent, everything that could be replaced has been, still shakes is it possible that it could be in the trans?? shaking starts at 60mph and up. out of ideas of what it could be all help would be great

Old 08-18-2014, 10:40 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try rotating your tires and see if that changes it.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:00 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of shape is your steering gear box in? I had terrible issues with death wobble in my last car (jeep grand cherokee)...after replacing all the front end parts with no success, I finally traced the problem all the way back to the steering box. Replaced the box, death wobble gone. The steering box in my truck also went bad - not for play or death wobble reasons, the output shaft seal failed in catastrophic fashion. Fluid pouring everywhere.

Check your steering box for play in the output shaft or any play in the steering wheel...they can be adjusted, but only up to a certain point. I'd recommend replacing it with either a borgeson new unit or a redhead rebuilt. I have the redhead rebuilt unit and it's super nice.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:20 PM
DodgeRam23

im sorry I forgot to add that the steering box was replaced and I rotated my tires and the wobble is still there, is it possible that it could be in the transmission?

Old 08-20-2014, 09:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Unlikely.

Where do you feel the shake the most? Thru the seat, or the steering wheel? Is it always present, or does it start up at some speed, and go away as you go faster?

Old 08-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Ham Bone
Champion

Could be pinion angle. Unlikely unless you have done some rear suspension or axle work before it started

Old 08-20-2014, 05:33 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DodgeRam23
im sorry I forgot to add that the steering box was replaced and I rotated my tires and the wobble is still there, is it possible that it could be in the transmission?
Try turning OD off and see if the shaking still occurs at higher speeds. If your plenum is not fixed, you may be experiencing a small misfire in the engine when in overdrive that is causing the whole front end to shake. This is an issue that has happened before on many occasions. For whatever reason, having the truck in overdrive amplifies the misfire and can cause a similar feeling to death wobble.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:50 PM
DodgeRam23

starts at about 60 and up and the whole truck shakes thru the sseat and the steering wheel, im doing a tune up so that should take care of any misfire in the truck, ive never had a misfiring problem but will look into it

Old 08-20-2014, 09:53 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Originally Posted by DodgeRam23
starts at about 60 and up and the whole truck shakes thru the sseat and the steering wheel, im doing a tune up so that should take care of any misfire in the truck, ive never had a misfiring problem but will look into it

Have you done any rear axle or supsenion work? Have you changed your rear drive shaft u joints?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 AM
DodgeRam23

the front suspension is all new and the rear end was rebuilt 4 months ago

Quick Reply: Death Wobble???