2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

14x3 Air assembly

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:25 PM
ChristheRED
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14x3 Air assembly

Anyone out there with this mod should be aware. The all thread can break. I'm out, just left of the middle of nowhere (is New Mexico), when I crossed an arroyo. Heard the intake make a weird noise and open my hood to find my intake assembly not where it is supposed to be. I'm guessing the impact and weight was more than the all tread could take. When I get back to my shop I'll weld some support pieces to it. In the meantime if you make one bent all thread you should make two.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:10 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Spectre piece for my 14x3 setup. Seems to work good so far.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:08 AM
ChristheRED

Broke another one. Evidently the K&N filter with an alluminium top is to much weight.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:43 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristheRED
Broke another one. Evidently the K&N filter with an alluminium top is to much weight.
The weight is sitting on the TB... the stud is just to hold the top down... the load the stud sees is based on how tight you do the nut.

Are you sure the housing isn't hitting the cowl under acceleration? (engine torquing on the mounts)... if the stud is getting bent back and forth, that might account for breakage.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:46 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My pop in law take a threaded rod and bent it into the right shape for my 14x3 setup, did that probably 4 years ago now....

Old 09-08-2014, 10:24 AM
ChristheRED

This is a recent breakage. I did this mod 4+ years ago, but only recently changed to a k&n. The added weight seems to be an issue. Its not hitting the cowl either. In my latest attempt I welded a support brace to the all thread and modified a few of the bolts on the air intake to make a platform in case it was snapping from pivoting. That to failed this morning after doing some more offroading. Next version I'll try some hardened steel rod or have to go back to the OEM air filter.

Quick Reply: 14x3 Air assembly