2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Juvenator93
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New shocks

Alright guys, I am well overdue for some new shocks. I have a 3" lift I put on about a year ago now but kept my ORE stock shocks on due to lack of funds. Well I'm finally getting the time and money to invest in my rig and new shocks are a must! I'm looking at the Bilstein 5100 and the ranch RS5000 for my replacements. The Bilsteins run $350 for all four and the Ranchos are $250 for all four. Anyone running these or have another recommendation? I do most of my driving on pavement (+85%) and some mild off road. Rides pretty stiff after the new coils and add a leaf went in when I lifted it, so anything would be better than what I have I'm sure. Thanks in advance guys

Old 08-30-2014, 06:06 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

The Bilsteins are favored by many. I personally went with the Rancho RS5000s. I am satisfied with the ride (stiff overall, which I prefer). If you go Ranchos, definitely spray on a clear coat over the body right out of the box. They've rusted through the white factory paint in about a year... still work well though.

I was able to use coupons at Advance Auto Parts to secure my RS5000s for about $35 a piece at the time! Hence why I went the Rancho route. It was a great value.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

Having to clear coat them right outta the box? Well **** haha. How stiff a ride we talking? Cuz my front isn't awful, unless I go over large bumps or a steep driveway or something, then it slams pretty hard. Probably because my current shocks are for stock height not 3" of lift. The rear is pretty freakin stiff with the add-a-leaf though. I was looking for something to make it ride like stock again. Not expecting it to ride like a Cadillac, but back to stock-ish would be nice

Old 08-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Monroe gas magnums are good also and cheap

Old 08-30-2014, 09:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Juvenator93
Having to clear coat them right outta the box? Well **** haha. How stiff a ride we talking? Cuz my front isn't awful, unless I go over large bumps or a steep driveway or something, then it slams pretty hard. Probably because my current shocks are for stock height not 3" of lift. The rear is pretty freakin stiff with the add-a-leaf though. I was looking for something to make it ride like stock again. Not expecting it to ride like a Cadillac, but back to stock-ish would be nice
Shocks aren't going to make your rear any less stiff......

Old 08-31-2014, 08:57 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Monroe gas magnums are good also and cheap
+1.....

Old 08-31-2014, 11:09 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Originally Posted by Juvenator93
The rust is surface rust and only cosmetic, but it is definitely annoying. In my opinion, the ride is stiffer than stock ORE shocks. Manages the bumps very well, and no bouncy cloud behavior going down the road.

However, even with load range E Cooper AT3s at ~50 psi, it's still softer than my '76 3/4 ton.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:23 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

Well I'd like the ride quality of when it was stock if possible. Just put on my 285/70R17 E rated Grabber AT2s at 65psi too haha. I looked at the Monroe but can't find them longer?

Old 09-01-2014, 12:49 AM
Juvenator93
Professional

What about Rough Country's N2.0? All four cost $160. Anyone know how these do?

Old 09-01-2014, 03:00 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Bilstiens are by far the best choice. Ive run them before and would buy them again as my first choice over anything else. They give a very smooh ride on the road, and they will handle anything off road.

Quick Reply: New shocks