2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Ram 1500 noises i cant figure out

Old 08-30-2014, 06:36 PM
liupostlax43
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Ram 1500 noises i cant figure out

I have a 1998 ram 1500, 5.2, 4x4 automatic with a 2.5 inch leveling kit and 305/75r/16's. I have three noises that I cant seem to pinpoint. The first is a metal to metal slip and clunk that sounds like its from the front end but it doesn't do it all the time. whenever it does it its when im stopping or accelerating while making a left turn, but once again it does not do it all the time, only when it feels like it and some times it will do it a few times in a row. the second noise is when my 4wd is engaged. there is a humming coming from the front end but only while making a turn in either direction. (could these two be related?). The final noise is the clunk that's experienced when shifting from another gear (usually drive) into reverse. if anyone can help me figure out any of these three noises itd be greatly appreciated

Old 08-30-2014, 08:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Third noise is prolly fairly standard with a 4x4. There is a fair bit of slop in the drivetrain, and changing directions, you find all of it.

First two more than likely are related..... start by inspecting all the u-joints in the front driveline. Take it from there. (having a look at steering, and wheel bearings wouldn't hurt either....)

Welcome to DF!

Old 08-30-2014, 09:49 PM
liupostlax43

Thanks.. The drive line slop was what I thought it was and I've replaced u joints and have to dive into new gears eventually (some play in my yoke)...

As for the other two I've went through all of my ujoints (have new drive axles in the from end) hub bearings are tight checked them when I did ball joints just last weekend... Any other ideas?

Old 08-30-2014, 10:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

How old are your shocks? Check the various bushings in the control arms and such? Might be something as silly as spring insulators being worn out. (plastic in the spring pockets, or, like a plastic tube over the last coils of the front springs.....)

Old 09-18-2014, 10:33 PM
liupostlax43

Sorry it took me so long to answer I've been busy with school but I went through the whole front end and shocks are brand new and it hasn't been solved. I talked to a guy and he said it could be my full posi rear end and to try adding a friction modifier. Do you know if there's any problems with that that could be causing the snapping and the hum?

Old 09-19-2014, 11:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Lower shock bolts get torqued to something like 110 ft/lbs..... make sure they are TIGHT.

You can add some friction modifier to your rear, and see if it makes a difference, but, I thought you were getting that noise from the front? (only in 4x4) No posi up front...

Old 09-22-2014, 08:28 PM
liupostlax43

I assumed it was coming from the front because that's where it seemed to be emanating from. It was hard to tell though because it only did it every once in a while and no one was ever really close enough when it happened to listen for it. the hum only happened in 4wd but the snapping would happen anytime. however I just had the brand new rear ujoint self destruct at highway speeds. so I dropped the shaft and used the front axle to get me home and none of the noises were present. so next step is to have the driveshaft repaired, go into the diff and check all of the clutches and the pumpkin and go from there

Old 09-22-2014, 09:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Let us know what ya find out.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:36 PM
liupostlax43

So the ujoint failure was contributed to the clips holding the caps letting go. Upon opening the rear diff I found that I don't have a posi I have a spring based locker which is causing the snapping because I was told the rear that I have is built of mainly off-road use so the pavement driving is just stressing the cogs and springs (not detrimental just annoying). I haven't had it in 4wd since to find if the hum is still there but I take it that it's also attributed to the lock up rear

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 Ram 1500 noises i cant figure out