2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hughes Airgap causing issues

Old 09-16-2014, 08:12 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tweeker909
AirGap is a big purchase got pics? Like how you done the fuel rail hose cause that is a sure way to burn down the truck if not done correctly.

Hose clamps won't work on EFI fuel pressure

Old 09-16-2014, 09:49 PM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Denso O2 sensor on the way. $25 from Rockauto, local parts store wanted $65 for same brand.

Unfortunately I did not get pics. I was in a bit of a time crunch, and rushing caused about 95% of the issues I ran into. I know, do it right or do it twice.

Whats wrong with using hose clamps? I could not for the life of me get that stiff line on there. I bought a high quality fuel injection rated hose and clamped it on, have not had a problem since.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

I know it is more money but I really like the billet fuel rails with AN fittings and steel braided hose.

Name:  IMG_8556_zps596a7b9e.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  4.29 MB

Ain't cheap but worth every penny.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:10 PM
AppelH
Captain

Hey Wildman, I think I saw your truck driving into cle elum last week, just off the freeway. Very distinctive mega cab, assuming I saw the right one.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:36 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Yep you can't miss my truck that is for sure.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:31 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran

Originally Posted by AppelH
I have a Denso O2 sensor on the way. $25 from Rockauto, local parts store wanted $65 for same brand.

Unfortunately I did not get pics. I was in a bit of a time crunch, and rushing caused about 95% of the issues I ran into. I know, do it right or do it twice.

Whats wrong with using hose clamps? I could not for the life of me get that stiff line on there. I bought a high quality fuel injection rated hose and clamped it on, have not had a problem since.
There is nothing wrong with using hose clamps. I've done the same thing with mine - that stiff plastic line that comes with the kit is complete garbage. Fuel injection lines + fuel injection hose clamps and I'm calling it a day. Had it that way for about a year now and no fuel leaks or smells present.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:49 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

So long as it all holds up to 49psi (with a safety factor), you're good.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:43 PM
AppelH
Captain

Well gents, the issue returned after the new O2 sensor. It worked fine for awhile after the sensor, but had an episode this morning on the way to work.

I really don't think its a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak would consistently cause a similar issue, at least the way i think about it. I think there is a failing sensor somewhere that works when it wants to that is causing me grief. The TPS comes to mind. Also wondering about the sensor behind the intake by the distributor cap? What it is and what it does? Wondering if I damaged it during my work. I also replaced only the front O2 sensor, I know it was recommended that I do both but I am running out of funds to replace parts that don't have a chance of fixing the issue.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Sensor next to distributor is the oil pressure sensor. It won't have any direct affect on how the engine runs.

Think I would go exploring for vacuum leaks again..... especially around the throttle body, and the intake to block surfaces. I would also disable PCV, plug all the holes, pull of the oil fill cap, and see if you are getting a breeze, or if it is still sucking. (should be a breeze... if its sucking, then the intake isn't sealed to the head, and is sucking air from the crankcase.)

If all that check out..... make sure the little vacuum line for the map sensor is intact, and not plugging up.

Check TPS voltage at idle while the problem is present. Also check voltage with the throttle slightly cracked.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:51 PM
AppelH
Captain

Ok ill give those things a try. The wife is getting tired of me always working on it and still not being fixed and able to drive. She has her eye on a 2012 Ram to replace it but we will see, its nice not having payments.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hughes Airgap causing issues