2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Ram Odometer problems!

Old 10-22-2005, 08:09 AM
fmsmith
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram Odometer problems!

A weird thing happened yesterday. I have a '99 Dodge Ram 1500 and the mileage is 41,372.
1. After a couple of days of none use I cranked up my truck and pulled out of the driveway an headed down the street when I noticed two lights burning on my odometer panel. A red light stated "brake" and the other an amber light which read "ABS." I checked the emergency brakes (which I never use) and saw they weren't set. I drove several more blocks down the street to see if the light would go out but no luck, although the brakes worked fine. I went back home and checked the master cylinder. It was full. I tried setting and releasing the emergency brake several times to see if something might have stuck in a particular position, but no luck. The light was still burning. If an odometer light comes on it bothers me because it's burning for a reason. One thing I thought about were the brake shoes and pads. I know they need replacing now, but I wasn't sure if there was an emergency light to tell me so. What's your opinion on this?
2. Why is the amber "ABS" light burning? What does this signify?
3. While all of the above is happening the odometer doesn't work, although the "RPM" side does. While I was driving checking the brakes I also noticed the odometer needle wouldn't move until I reached about 30mph, and then the needle was bounced to 30mph. As I increased speed to about 40mph it would hesitate a little and the needle would bounce to 45mph. When I decreased speed the needle would slowly drop until it reached 30mph then the needle would drop to 0mph all of a sudden.
The truck runs fine and the electrical seems fine. The other gauges on the odometer panel (oil, fuel, water, etc.) seem to be working okay. These two lights continue to stay on (either in the "ON" or "CRANKING" position until the engine is turned off.)
This reminds me of the TV commercial where a doctor is talking to a car and asking if it's had symptoms of coughing, sputtering, etc.
Okay Doc! What's wrong with my sick truck?

Francis in Mobile, AL

Old 10-22-2005, 03:30 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: Dodge Ram Odometer problems!

ABS means anti-lock brake system, not sure whats up tho

Old 10-23-2005, 04:02 AM
Ramtuff
Veteran

Sounds like the rear speed sensor to me.

Old 10-23-2005, 05:57 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

Ramtuff is right, it is the rear speed sensor mounted in the differential. takes about 10~15 minutes to change and costs about $40 bux (if I remember correctly, swapped mine about 6 months ago)

Old 10-23-2005, 06:11 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

Rear speed sensor - probably. A buddy just had that same scenario. The speed sensor is one of those parts you have to get from the dealer. He said it was somewhere around $40. Easy to fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge Ram Odometer problems!