2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 Dodge Ram, Climate Control Panel No Power

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Eagleye134
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dodge Ram, Climate Control Panel No Power

Hey there, I got a 1996 Dodge Ram with 5.9L, well my AC/Heater/Vent panel isn't working. Well the blower motor part isn't working, the vent and heat switches are working. I thought it was the whole panel took a **** on me so I pulled the 7 wire-plug off from the back before buying a new one and used a test light on all the wires, the only one that shows power is the one for when the dash lights are on. The other 6 wires are dead completely. I checked all the fuses and blower motor relays and they are all fine and if you give the blower motor direct power from a separate battery it works fine. Anyone else have this issue? cause it starting to get cold and I need that blower motor to work ASAP. What could be stopping power to the other 6 wires? or do any of you have the wiring diagram for my truck?

Last edited by Eagleye134; 09-13-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:38 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eagleye134
Hey there, I got a 1996 Dodge Ram with 5.9L, well my AC/Heater/Vent panel isn't working. Well the blower motor part isn't working, the vent and heat switches are working. I thought it was the whole panel took a **** on me so I pulled the 7 wire-plug off from the back before buying a new one and used a test light on all the wires, the only one that shows power is the one for when the dash lights are on. The other 6 wires are dead completely. I checked all the fuses and blower motor relays and they are all fine and if you give the blower motor direct power from a separate battery it works fine. Anyone else have this issue? cause it starting to get cold and I need that blower motor to work ASAP. What could be stopping power to the other 6 wires? or do any of you have the wiring diagram for my truck?

did you check the resistor under the blower motor also even knowing the one still works check for good groundage

Old 09-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Eagleye134
Amateur

Originally Posted by It's Me Patt
did you check the resistor under the blower motor also even knowing the one still works check for good groundage
No i did not, is the resistor behind the glove box or behind the whole dash? And where would the ground be for that part of the harness?

Old 09-15-2014, 04:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Switch provides ground path for the blower. Make sure you are getting power TO the blower motor.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Eagleye134
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Switch provides ground path for the blower. Make sure you are getting power TO the blower motor.
Checked that, Im not gettin any power at the connection to the blower motor. And the blower motor relay has power comin in and out all wires. No power at the plug behind the panel.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wiring problem. First need to verify the relay actually works, just swap it with another on that you KNOW works. (starter, or horn relay.) If that doesn't do anything, gotta be the wire from the relay, to the blower.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:48 PM
Eagleye134
Amateur

Would u no which wire that could be? theres four wires coming off the relay, 2 Greens, a Black and a Black/Orange one because at the blower motor connection by the glove box its just got a Red wire and a Black wire.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

You can get the 96 service manual from this thread. It has wiring diagrams as well.

Looks like the blower relay doesn't even play a role here.... not sure what that's all about. Power comes from the ignition switch, thru fuse F2 in the junction block (on the side of the dash) and then to the blower motor. (dark green wire) From there, it goes to the resistor block, then to the switch.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Eagleye134
Amateur

Where exactly is the service manual? and would u think its a bad resistor? Im not the best with wiring and electronics 😂

Old 09-17-2014, 09:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I hate wiring issues.....

The 'this' in my previous post is a link to the thread with service manuals.

If you aren't getting power on the dark green wire AT the blower motor, your problem is more than likely between the fuse block, and the blower. Check fuse F2 first. I believe that's a 30 amp fuse......

Quick Reply: 1996 Dodge Ram, Climate Control Panel No Power