2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 09:00 PM
BigGreenRam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question leveling kit

Ok here's what I wanna do tell me if it will work 2 inch front spacer kit new KYB shocks all 4 corners. Will I or do I need new adjustable track bar and lower arms I don't off road much just want to run bigger tires thanks for your help and any input y'all have

Old 09-13-2014, 09:33 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need anything else to level off the front end 2".

What size tires do you want to run?

Old 09-13-2014, 10:57 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No. I've got 2" taller springs on my truck (front and rear actually) and other than changing out the shocks (as you're planning on doing) I didn't need to do anything else.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:24 AM
BigGreenRam
Professional

Thank for the help not going to big I'm running 265/75/16 now going to 285/75/16 that should be just under a 33 still have the 3.55 stock gears I've rebuilt the the rear with new clutches should run fine with the stock gears 5.9 auto oh 16x8 rims with 4.5 backspace thank again guys

Old 09-14-2014, 09:27 AM
armynurse
Veteran

If you ever get the chance to change out your gears for 4.10 to go with those 285 tires you'd really like it. I know I did (I started out with 3.55).

Last edited by armynurse; 09-14-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good size change. I'd recommend an alignment once the spacers are in.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Good size change. I'd recommend an alignment once the spacers are in.
+1 Good size, and recommend alignment after

Old 09-16-2014, 12:27 PM
tweeker909
Professional

Originally Posted by armynurse
No. I've got 2" taller springs on my truck (front and rear actually) and other than changing out the shocks (as you're planning on doing) I didn't need to do anything else.
Got a install thread with pic? Pics of the coils installed? To the op yes you can but it will pull the axle over and back about a inch or so and you will be driving down the road crooked/dog legged. Which isnt right and you may get uneven tire wear.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:13 PM
armynurse
Veteran

Originally Posted by tweeker909
Got a install thread with pic? Pics of the coils installed? To the op yes you can but it will pull the axle over and back about a inch or so and you will be driving down the road crooked/dog legged. Which isnt right and you may get uneven tire wear.
There really wasn't much to it; it's pretty much out with the old and in with the new (I did it in my driveway). Loosen the top of the front shocks (remove the nut) and remove the shock tower, jack the truck up so the tires are off the ground, remove the tires and rims so the axle hangs down (have jack stands under the frame, and the floor jack under the axle pumpkin), remove the shocks, pull out the old coil springs, replace with new springs, replace shocks, replace wheels and tires. You might have to push down on one side or the other of the axle to get the spring in, but no spring compressors are needed. And if the axle is shifted with just a 2" lift you'd have to get a ruler out to measure it as it would be a fraction fraction of an inch (I can't tell by looking at it if it is shifted, and I've got 2" taller springs on my truck). A 2" lift and 285 tires are a nice combination with these trucks. I've lifted mine 2" up front and in the back (long-leaf add-a-leaf). I would recommend getting a front end alignment afterwards.

Name:  trucktires3_zps19bf7ea3.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  121.4 KB

Name:  Trucktires_zps3ff42a5e.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  123.4 KB

Last edited by armynurse; 09-16-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:38 PM
armynurse
Veteran

Originally I put a 1.5" spring spacer on the front of my truck (by Hellbent Steel - still got them in the garage somewhere). It looked good when I was running 265/75/16" tires. I later replaced them (factory springs and 1.5" spacer) with 2" taller coils and a 2" rear add-a-leaf.

One thing I discovered though when getting before-and-after measurements with this 1.5" spring spacer, was the back of the truck (measured at the hitch) actually went DOWN after I put in the spring spacers. Picture your truck's frame as a see-saw, with the pivot point being the rear axle. As one side goes up (the front with the spring spacer) the rear goes down; in my case it was between one and two inches. I bolted a piece of spring steel to the bottom of the spring pack (like 3/8" thick) and that brought the rear bumper up a fraction of an inch higher than before the spring spacer and called it good.

I'm thinking a 2" spacer alone up front would bring the rear of the truck down even more. Would you notice it? I don't know; I did when I put one in mine; the rear of the truck just seemed lower after putting in the spring spacer even before I took after measurements. Rear add-a-leafs are not that expensive.

Just saying....

Quick Reply: leveling kit