2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tow Pig friendly motor mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 01:17 AM
midnight_f150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Pig friendly motor mods

I'm about to buy a long block 360 for my 01 dodge QC 4wd. This truck will mostly be used for a tow pig. Pulling fishing boats, UTV and in the near future a camper. This is the second 1/2ton 2nd gen rams I've owned but never done much aftermarket mods to them. Now that I'm starting with a fresh 360 was looking to do some mild mods to it. Looking for some suggestion on headers, high flow cats and exhaust setup that wont kill the low rpm torque need for hill in the northern part of the state. Wondering which air intake would work better for my needs a F1,M1 or a mod keg. Also thinking about installing some 1.7 H&S roller rockers before I install this new long block but unsure about that. Hoping someone here can sell me on them. I thought about a small cam upgrade but I'm unsure about all the tune stuff still and everything I've read says for the max results must use a tune. The transmission is getting rebuild with some upgrades when the motor gets pulled.

Last edited by midnight_f150; 09-15-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:15 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're wanting to make this the tow rig forget everything else until you beef up the transmission...

Old 09-15-2014, 08:12 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get 4.10 gears. Best bang for the money bar none.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

How much do you have to spend on the motor? Beefing the trans as well is a must.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:52 AM
midnight_f150

I know should have put in the original post that when I pull the motor that transmission is going in for a rebuild with some upgrades. Gears are on my list.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

skip the hs rockers. Get a torque cam, buy a sct tuner. and put some shorties on it. get a 50mm throttle body and keep the stock intake and you will have a very low end torquey engine. for right around a thousand bucks. same price as rockers exhuast and maybe an intake. but you will get much more out of it.

you have a 01 so you have a much better y pipe then the early years. I would just start with what i have listed above. exhaust mods for performance are overrated. these engines are not fire breathing monsters limited by exhuast restrictions from the factory.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:31 PM
midnight_f150

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
skip the hs rockers. Get a torque cam, buy a sct tuner. and put some shorties on it. get a 50mm throttle body and keep the stock intake and you will have a very low end torquey engine. for right around a thousand bucks. same price as rockers exhuast and maybe an intake. but you will get much more out of it.

you have a 01 so you have a much better y pipe then the early years. I would just start with what i have listed above. exhaust mods for performance are overrated. these engines are not fire breathing monsters limited by exhuast restrictions from the factory.
Any suggestion on cam and shorties?

Old 09-15-2014, 04:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Shorties may not help as much as a set of long tubes.... and an H pipe, but, I think Pacesetter makes the only set of reasonably priced longtubes, and the tube size is a bit large for a torque motor, still, better than the stock manifolds, or shorties. Would require a bit of work for a Y pipe though. (or, you can spend the 180 bucks or so on the pacesetter y-pipe.....) Will also need to add a cat to that if you have emission testing where you are.

Go for a good "RV" cam. Something designed for Idle, to wherever. (some go to 4500, others up to 5000, anything beyond that, and you will be losing bottom end, to gain a bit of top end.) Having a chat with someone like comp cams, telling them what you want to do, they can give a good recommendation. Keep in mind, you may not valve springs as well.... Depending on the cam.

If you can spring it, going with some stock ratio roller rockers, or, let the folks you are getting your cam from know that you want to run the 1.7 ratio, will also free up a few ponies, and give you a stronger, more accurate, valve train.

Just adding the 1.7 ratio rockers to a stock motor is generally good for 10 HP/TQ.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:13 PM
tweeker909
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Shorties may not help as much as a set of long tubes.... and an H pipe, but, I think Pacesetter makes the only set of reasonably priced longtubes, and the tube size is a bit large for a torque motor, still, better than the stock manifolds, or shorties. Would require a bit of work for a Y pipe though. (or, you can spend the 180 bucks or so on the pacesetter y-pipe.....) Will also need to add a cat to that if you have emission testing where you are.

Go for a good "RV" cam. Something designed for Idle, to wherever. (some go to 4500, others up to 5000, anything beyond that, and you will be losing bottom end, to gain a bit of top end.) Having a chat with someone like comp cams, telling them what you want to do, they can give a good recommendation. Keep in mind, you may not valve springs as well.... Depending on the cam.

If you can spring it, going with some stock ratio roller rockers, or, let the folks you are getting your cam from know that you want to run the 1.7 ratio, will also free up a few ponies, and give you a stronger, more accurate, valve train.

Just adding the 1.7 ratio rockers to a stock motor is generally good for 10 HP/TQ.
Are these based on what you have installed on your truck? I cant find any install threads.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by tweeker909
Are these based on what you have installed on your truck? I cant find any install threads.
Not on mine, 40 years experience installing on other folks vehicles.

Quick Reply: Tow Pig friendly motor mods