2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

misfire issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 05:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Most are pretty easy, cam, and crank sensors are fun, simply because of where they are.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:32 PM
djbucky3
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Most are pretty easy, cam, and crank sensors are fun, simply because of where they are.
Its the "fun" that scares me HY! I will look into it however!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:43 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

ok so ive checked my wires and plugs. they are fine. the plugs still look new. i cant remember what its called but the thing you use to check the ignition coils, i checked those and they are good. compression is right around 150 on all cylinders. i replaced the fuel pump with an airtex model around the same time i did the tune up. which i did the cap and rotor at that time as well. now i was asking the guy i had do the diagnostic test, what could cause my truck to long crank after it sits for a few hours, he said the fuel pump isnt holding pressure. i told him i just replaced it. he said hes willing to bet its the fuel pump.

ok anyway back on topic(sorry guys) as i told you guys the very morning after the truck misfired and flashing CEL, the light was gone. it seemed to run normal. maybe a little rougher at idle but...that could just be in my head. but SOMETHING went wrong to throw the code... so im thinking maybe just changing out the tps, cps, and map sensor and going from there.

i would say this about sums up this thread. thanks all you guys for your help.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:23 AM
ReadRam
All Star

Airtex fuel pumps don't have a good reputation for quality (junk) by many of the more knowledgeable members on this forum.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:02 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

and the thing that makes me even angrier is the fact that i had to buy it at the local auto parts store which charged me 330 dollars for the pump. i found the same pump on rockauto.com for 123 bucks. kinda frustrating if it is the pump causing this issue. the misfire seems to have ceased. still feel a slight power loss though. im going to swap out all those sensors and see what we come up with. thanks again guys

Quick Reply: misfire issue.