2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Choosing the right torque converter stall

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 10:43 PM
Chevy2Dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing the right torque converter stall

Let me preface this with I have already scoured the forum threads, read MonteC's transmission corner, and done a ton of general online searching...

I am in need of a torque converter (mine is making a whining noise and needs replaced) and would like to purchase one from Precision of New Hampton as many others have recommended on the forums. I have seen MonteC mention the RV model which I guess has a stall around 400 rpm under stock and I have come to understand that the stock stall may be around 1800 rpm.

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4wd Quad Cab with the 5.9L (Magnum 360) gas engine that I bought new. The truck is not used for towing. I'm "guessing" it produces roughly 300hp at the rear wheels as a result of the mods I've done (below) and it's more/less a daily driver type vehicle; although, I only drive it once or twice per week and is stored in the winter. The truck currently only has 42k miles on it.

I called Precision and told them I wanted the billet cover and they informed me that I may want to opt for the 5444LSA-HD-CO which has the billet cover and Allison flange. The Allison flange is just another option available; not necessarily something they recommended.

I understand from Precision that the stall for the 5444-LS is 1500-1600 RPMs and for the 5444-HS is 1600-1700 RPMs. I assume the RV is in the 1400 rpm range. Ultimately, I want to make sure I buy the appropriate one for my application so I get the most benefit.

Here are some mods I've done to the truck:

Jba ceramic coated headers
Mopar M1 2bbl intake
50mm Billet Throttle Body
4.88 gears
38.5x16x16.5 tires
High flow catalytic converter
FlowMaster Cat-Back exhaust
Jacobs electronic ignition
K/N open element filter
B&G M1 PCM Flash
Crane Cam - 208/216 degree duration @ .050 (2000-5500 RPM range)
Roller Rockers
Transgo shift kit

The RV converter generally makes me nervous in that I worry that the stall may be too low and cause the truck to feel sluggish from a dead stop or flash stall too close to idle. I've also heard that the lower the stall the higher probability that the firm shifts created by the shift kit may be even more accentuated. Mine are already pretty snappy and would not want them any harsher.

I've spoken with Hughes and TCI and they both suggested something in the 18-2200 rpm range. Summit Racing Tech Support suggested a 2500 stall based heavily on my Cam's profile. I plan to talk to PATC tomorrow and see what they say. Morey at Precision and Robert at Cascade Transmission Parts didn't seem to have much concern with the lower stall speeds in the Precision converters.

I'll admit that this topic is fairly confusing to me so it's highly likely that I just don't understand the concepts quite right. If anyone has any guidance for my application, that would be great. Thank you in advance for any suggestions provided.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:06 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

It would be helpful to hone in on your intended usage of your truck a bit more. Given the 4.88 gearing and engine mods, I'd think you could go up in stall a bit (1800 - 2200). Try giving the transmission folks at PTC (http://ptcrace.com/) a call down in Alabama. Kenny there is a MOPAR guy and can provide some guidance on converter stall selection, based on your combo and intended usage.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I would be more inclined to agree with Hughes/TCI, given the cam you have in there. The cam is geared more toward mid- to upper-rpm power, a low rpm stall converter would make your truck a dog out of the hole.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 AM
Chevy2Dodge

Thanks AtomicDog; I spoke with PTC this morning and they also suggested about a 2200 stall. The truck is literally just a jacked up, nice looking, daily driver. I don't tow or abuse it in any way. I use it to pull a 5x8 trailer (to the landfill) a couple times per year and to get large items from the Home Improvement stores as required. Not much more than that. I don't race the engine or anything like that. It's pretty much a daily driver-type that I want to be able to get up and go as necessary.

I also spoke with Crane Cams this morning and they said my Cam is a pretty torquie cam. When I asked why the minimum RPM was only 2000 he didn't really indicate that was a problem. I was told by Summit that the Cam seemed too high for that setup (not enough low-end torque). Admittedly, the truck is not snappy from a dead stop but really gets up once closer to mid-range. I've never paid enough attention though to see what the RPMs are when it comes alive.

I agree, HeyYou, that the truck would likely be even more of a dog out of the hole (than it is already) if I lowered the stall even more. At least that's my perception based on what little I know about the topic.

I still need to call PATC and see what they say. If I should indeed go with a 2000+ stall I assume I'll need Precision to build me a custom one as it seems their high stall version (HS) is only rated at 16-1700 RPM. I'll see what PATC says and report back.

Thanks for the inputs thus far!

Old 09-16-2014, 12:42 PM
tweeker909
Professional

Originally Posted by Chevy2Dodge
Let me preface this with I have already scoured the forum threads, read MonteC's transmission corner, and done a ton of general online searching...

I am in need of a torque converter (mine is making a whining noise and needs replaced) and would like to purchase one from Precision of New Hampton as many others have recommended on the forums. I have seen MonteC mention the RV model which I guess has a stall around 400 rpm under stock and I have come to understand that the stock stall may be around 1800 rpm.

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4wd Quad Cab with the 5.9L (Magnum 360) gas engine that I bought new. The truck is not used for towing. I'm "guessing" it produces roughly 300hp at the rear wheels as a result of the mods I've done (below) and it's more/less a daily driver type vehicle; although, I only drive it once or twice per week and is stored in the winter. The truck currently only has 42k miles on it.

I called Precision and told them I wanted the billet cover and they informed me that I may want to opt for the 5444LSA-HD-CO which has the billet cover and Allison flange. The Allison flange is just another option available; not necessarily something they recommended.

I understand from Precision that the stall for the 5444-LS is 1500-1600 RPMs and for the 5444-HS is 1600-1700 RPMs. I assume the RV is in the 1400 rpm range. Ultimately, I want to make sure I buy the appropriate one for my application so I get the most benefit.

Here are some mods I've done to the truck:

Jba ceramic coated headers
Mopar M1 2bbl intake
50mm Billet Throttle Body
4.88 gears
38.5x16x16.5 tires
High flow catalytic converter
FlowMaster Cat-Back exhaust
Jacobs electronic ignition
K/N open element filter
B&G M1 PCM Flash
Crane Cam - 208/216 degree duration @ .050 (2000-5500 RPM range)
Roller Rockers
Transgo shift kit

The RV converter generally makes me nervous in that I worry that the stall may be too low and cause the truck to feel sluggish from a dead stop or flash stall too close to idle. I've also heard that the lower the stall the higher probability that the firm shifts created by the shift kit may be even more accentuated. Mine are already pretty snappy and would not want them any harsher.

I've spoken with Hughes and TCI and they both suggested something in the 18-2200 rpm range. Summit Racing Tech Support suggested a 2500 stall based heavily on my Cam's profile. I plan to talk to PATC tomorrow and see what they say. Morey at Precision and Robert at Cascade Transmission Parts didn't seem to have much concern with the lower stall speeds in the Precision converters.

I'll admit that this topic is fairly confusing to me so it's highly likely that I just don't understand the concepts quite right. If anyone has any guidance for my application, that would be great. Thank you in advance for any suggestions provided.
That is a good list of work done to your ram got any pics or vids of said mods. See you went with JBA headers how you like them fit-finish pics.

Last edited by tweeker909; 09-16-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Chevy2Dodge

Haha, yeah. Let me see if I can find some pics... it's been awhile since I've taken some.

Regarding the JBAs, they're pretty nice. I can't really speak on fitment compared to anything else as they're all I've ever had. I can say that I didn't have any problems bolting them up and they've done well for me. I've probably had them on the truck since 02-03.

The ceramic gray finish is nice but will warn you that the flanges do get some surface rust on them; likely from the heat up/cool down and just rain water reaching them on occasion. I actually had to return my first set because the finish on the header tubes weren't holding up. They swapped them without incident, however, and I haven't had an issue with the tubes since.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Chevy2Dodge

I just spoke with Fred at PATC and he suggested a stall speed in the range of 23-2600. He indicated that the higher stall would allow me to get into my power band (based on Cam) more quickly. When I asked about drivability and heat he said the truck should move when I take my foot off the pedal without must coaxing. I feared that I'd have to push the pedal down a bit to get it to move and he said that is not the case. He also said the heat could be a little more but negligible based on the size of the converter and amount of fluid it holds. He also mentioned that gas mileage could suffer a little with the higher stall over stock stall (which he quoted was about 1600; although, I've seen 1800 on the forum).

Old 09-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen the PATC, but you are no where near 300 RWHP, maybe 30-40 over stock on a good day....You're still on stock heads, shorty headers, and a small TB on only a M1 2bbl...With a catalytic converter to boot.

Make sure you're straight up with the guys helping you spec the converter.

I put down way less than 300 on a dyno with way more mods, I was really depressed, it is what it is, you would be $hocked to see what it takes to make 485 RWHP all motor.

Last edited by Adobedude; 09-16-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:16 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

is stall and idle the same thing?

Old 09-16-2014, 07:32 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonBuc'em
is stall and idle the same thing?

In an Auto...Stall is what your engine rpms flash too before the truck starts to move. How much power and at what rpms the truck makes it's power at and what the truck is used for dictates the stall.

My Ram is 1800 to 2000, my Dakota is 4000 rpms now, soon to see 5200 rpms...

Quick Reply: Choosing the right torque converter stall