2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1994 Dodge Ram 1500: new dash, wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Think I would be tempted to see what is going on on that circuit, seems something is generating a significant draw..... and the starter solenoid most certainly should NOT blow a 40 amp fuse.......

Old 09-29-2014, 04:07 PM
corrodedchrome
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welp. I literally had just called the tow truck when I had a thought. I went out to the truck, put the last fuse I had in FUSE 2 in the PDC, removed the kick panel, started it up, cut the engine, checked the fuse (it was intact), replaced the fuse, started it back up again, cut it off again, and cycled through starting it and cutting it off a few times, all the while laughing like a madman. My neighbor came out to see what the noise was and I still dont know what she heard first, my maniacal cackling or the truck starting up repeatedly.

I found the problem. The kick panel that came with the new dashboard had styrofoam on the backside, which must have pressed against the wires that ran the length of the steering column of which there must be an exposed wire somewhere that got pressed against the steering column, causing a short and blowing the poor fuse. Repeatedly. And so, removing the kick panel solved it. I thought, before I installed all of the trim and such, it started up just fine, but after I installed the trim, a problem arose. I disregarded this thought for some reason or another. But I thought about it literally moments after calling a wrecker to haul my truck off to a mechanic and I figured, "hey, what have I got to lose? A fuse?" and I removed the kick panel and it spun right up without blowing a fuse. It could have easily had the exposed wire since I got this truck and it just has never been a problem until now. The kick panel that came with the original dash did not have styrofoam behind it, the one that came with the new dash from the junk yard did. And that styrofoam pushing those wires was all it took for the thing to pop fuses like candy.

I am going to go through those wires... again... since it is blatantly obvious where the short is now. I cannot believe how silly this has all been. At least I have removed some redundant/unnecessary parts now.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

That would have made a great video......

At least ya found it, and it ain't gonna cost you an arm, leg, left nut, first born male child, and half your soul......

The following users liked this post:
Shift Ace (01-29-2024)

Quick Reply: 1994 Dodge Ram 1500: new dash, wont start