2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram Brake Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 05:18 PM
HammerF15E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram Brake Mystery

I have a 2001 Ram 1500, 3.9L, RWD (Front disks, rear drums) with a unsolveable brake problem and need some help finding the root of the problem.

Short Story:
Changed frozen front left caliper. Bled brakes several times. Pumped up with engine off, but the pedal travels almost to the floor when pressure is held and engine is turned on. I did not have any brake performance issues other than frozen caliper prior to now. Changed master cylinder, same problem. No leaks found.

Long Story:
Initially, I noticed my front left brake pads were significantly worn to the point that the inside pad barely had any material left. The right front pads were fine and worn consistent with the fact I changed out rotors and pads on both left and right side about a year ago.

Thought I had a sticky left front caliper, so changed the rotors and pads, then lubed the caliper. After a week of driving i put it back on the rack and noticed the front left was still getting hot to the touch, mildly burn. I put a new caliper on and bled the brakes several times to ensure no air in the system.

THE PROBLEM: After bleeding complete, checked the brakes by pumping up the brakes w/ engine off. Pedal held. Turned the engine on with foot on pedal still, and pedal went almost to the floor.

(No brake problems or performance noted prior to changing the caliper.)

Checked for leaks along brake lines and calipers, and drums, found none. No fluid lost. No BRAKE light or ABS light on. No hissing power brake booster. Brakes prior to changing caliper were fine, not spongy, not hard to press.

Changed the Master Cylinder. Bench bled master cylinder and installed. Bled brakes. Pumped up the brakes and held firm. Started the engine again and pedal traveled almost to the floor, same as after installing caliper.

Anyone seen this before? Or have any idea what might be the cause?

Old 09-21-2014, 05:24 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put your caliper on with the bleeder above the brake line?

Old 09-21-2014, 05:30 PM
HammerF15E

I connected the brake line to the caliper while holding it above the rotor. I installed it with the bleed valve on the bottom of the caliper when installed.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:37 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will never get your system bled with the valve on the bottom. It needs to be on top.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

They gave you the wrong side caliper. Also, you may want to replace the soft lines as well. More often than not, the soft lines collapse internally, not allowing pressure to release. (acts like a stuck caliper)

Old 09-21-2014, 06:07 PM
HammerF15E

I just talked with the parts store that sold me the new caliper and it seems the box for the left caliper had a right side caliper in it. Since it could only go on one way, i didn't even think to check it was on the wrong side (bottom instead of top). I'm on my way to get the correct part. I'll post my results once i get the right part on and bleed the system correctly. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2014, 11:29 PM
HammerF15E

Thanks guys. Once I removed and replaced the caliper with the correct one, and bled the system, it worked like a champ.

I learned two things today. Double check the parts you get, and check DodgeForum.com if you run into a snag.

I'm changing the ball joints next, and will make sure to search this forum for sage advice.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram Brake Mystery