2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Pressure - fluctuation

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 02:58 PM
brink5
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure - fluctuation

99 Dodge Ram 1500, 4x4, 5.2L, 130k, Manual

Spent a lot of time reading the forum on oil pressure issues with these trucks. Seems to be fairly common faults with the pick up tube screen getting clogged and the oil pressure sending unit failing. Looking for some reassurance here on my truck.

I've attached 2 pictures. Pic 1 is cold start up at idle, pic 2 is truck is at operating temp also at idle. Is it typical to have higher oil pressure on start up, and then lose pressure when it warms up? None of my other vehicles seem to do this. Is it just that the oil is thicker/colder? Whether I'm driving in town or on the highway, pressure gauge normally sits slightly above or below the 40 mark. It does seem to increase or decrease with rpm some.

Basically can someone tell me if this all looks and sounds okay here, or is this something I should keep an eye on?

Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure - fluctuation-pic-1-cold-start-up-.jpg   Oil Pressure - fluctuation-pic-2-operating-temp-.jpg  
Old 09-23-2014, 03:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

When cold, the oil is a bit harder to pump, and everything else is cold too, so, a bit higher pressure isn't surprising.

If you are running around 40PSI at idle, you are golden. Basic rule of thumb on oil pressure is: Minimum 10PSI at idle, and then +10 PSI per 1000 RPM, up to whatever max is. (usually 50-60 on a stock pump.)

I think you are just fine.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:46 PM
getdown78
Veteran

Could be a bad oil sender ? Mine used to go up and down and now sdoes it sometimes while driving !

Old 09-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes. You are fine. I agree with hey you.

Revving = oil pump spinning faster = more oil pressure.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:12 PM
brink5
Rookie

Thanks HeyYou. I appreciate the quick response and checking this out for me.

I love reading the forums just to gain some knowledge and have a better understanding. Unfortunately, I think I become a bit paranoid every time I do and think somethings is wrong with my truck lol.

It's kind of the equivalent I think to googling your symptoms if you're sick... by the time you are done, your pretty sure you have cancer and are likely to die at any moment lol.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:23 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Unfortunately, a lot of manufacturers have "oil pressure gauges", but the sending unit is really just a switch. It doesn't vary. As long as it sees enough pressure to 'trip', it reads "GOOD" on the gauge.... regardless of what the pressure is actually doing. You might have been used to that kind of setup.

What I'm seeing in your situation is normal. Actually mimics my truck almost exactly.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:22 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After 200,000 miles my oil pressure started going low after doing some extended heavy towing. I had a Melling (don't know if that's spelled right) HD oil pump installed (along with the rear main seal while they had the oil pan off). The shop told me my pick-up tube was fairly well clogged, and I had a good bit of gunk in the oil pan (which they cleaned out). Oh; and no more low oil pressure afterwards.

The oil pump pick-up screen was surprisingly small when they showed me my old one. It wouldn't take much to completely block it. Hopefully I saved my engine from long-term damage by replacing the oil pump.

Last edited by armynurse; 09-24-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:23 PM
rossstable

How expensive is this kind of repair ??

Old 10-19-2014, 09:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by rossstable
How expensive is this kind of repair ??
Depends on how much of the work you can do yourself.

Old 08-28-2021, 09:16 AM
Jocituck
Default My trucks doing the same thing with the oil gauge a

My truck does the exact same thing I have a 99 dakota v6 4wd and the oil pressure sits below 40 at start and idle but if I just begin driving and don't let it warm up an idle for a few before I start driving it rests where yours does above the 40 well it sits halfway between 40 and that next line before the 110 line. And it fluctuates while driving anything under 55-60mph I'm just under or at the 40 and if I go over 60mph I'm at the other spot between the 40 and the line before 110 but everything seems to be running fine for me.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure - fluctuation