2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Advice for swapping to manual tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:55 PM
Turbomonkey80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for swapping to manual tranny

I have a '99 Ram 1500 Laramie, 5.9, 4x4. Blew the 46re in it. Put another 46re in. Blew it. After knowing why they both blew, (cooling problems) I'm hoping third times a charm. Unfortunately, on my budget of about $400. Finding another one in my area is proving to be difficult. However, I have found a few manual trannys in that price range, and I've kinda liked the idea of having one in the old truck. Now my question is. "What are my options for swapping to a manual? " What years can i use? Will an '03 work, and what issues will i run into as far as electronics, speedometer, ect.?

Old 09-23-2014, 11:49 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With all the small parts you would need you would blow 400 dollars out of the water in short order. Clutch? Pedals? Hydraulics? Shifter? Pilot bearing sleeve. Drive shaft work. Does it come with the right bell housing? Manual flywheel.

best cheapest option would be to pony up the extra money for an auto rebuild. A few upgrades in key areas will give you a long lasting auto trans.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Turbomonkey80

Great. You pointed out all flaws in my plan Haha. I guess that wasn't too well thought out. You make some good points. About the best deal i can find for a rebuild, or rebuilt is around $1500. Time to start saving. Thank you for the reply.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Can also keep an eye out for a dodge truck that already has a manual trans, and blown motor, or trashed body.... might be able to get it for cheaper than a rebuild on the auto..... you REALLY want a 3/4 ton, so you get the NV4500. Has to be a V-8 though, as the V-10, and diesel have a different bolt pattern.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:55 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you can get a complete 'donor' truck for $400, you will never get a swap done for that price unfortunately. Ask me how I know.

A 2003 most likely won't work. They used a Hemi and the bolt pattern is different than our Magnums IIRC.

Since you are on a budget of about $400, you MIGHT be able to get an automatic out of a junkyard and strike lucky that it lasts and works well. Always check the return policy and warranty!

Old 09-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Turbomonkey80

I've taken all the advice into consideration, and it's all great advice. I've also searched for a lot that's listed here for a few months with no luck. Even drove 2 hours to get one a guy had for $300 just to be told he couldn't sell it to me when i got 5 miles from where he was. So, I've found a place that sells remans for about $850. I'm gonna pony up the extra cash and go with that option to get my truck back on the road. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:42 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

Let us know how it goes

Old 09-28-2014, 10:39 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

Good luck man. The trans on these trucks arent worth their weight in scrap. As long as you take care of the reman then you should be ok. I wouldn't do a lot of towing or offroading until you were able to put quite a few miles on the trans, just to make sure it holds up.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Turbomonkey80

Update: Found a used trans for $350. Got it in with new lines, and intercooler mounted at the very front apposed to being in between the radiators, and pulls/shifts just fine. Drove it about 30 miles today, and same thing is happening again. The O/D OFF light came on. Then Trans Temp light. I pulled over, and shut it off for a few minutes. Started it back up, and continued a little father. Did it again. I'm at a loss here. What could be causing this on three transmissions?

Old 11-13-2014, 10:31 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

If you re-used the cooler it may be blocked preventing flow of the lines.

Also, if the throttle valve cable is sticking or not adjusted properly it could cause the transmission to overheat.

if you ran the lines per factory specs it would have the fluid go through the engine radiator first then to the aux cooler. If that part isn't flowing either it will cause the same problem.. Gotta make sure that it's getting flow through the lines.

Quick Reply: Advice for swapping to manual tranny