2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

front axle not centered?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Juvenator93
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Spot on HB.

Juvenator -- what are you doing to this poor ORE???? You should have like 1 or 2 alignment sheets (before/after). Are you will to share them? While the sway bar links can help identify an issue, at the same time don't make them a critical part of assessing the system altogether. You have a tape measure where you can do some basic checks.

For example for the rear, measure outside of frame to center pin. Use some straight edges. Same for both sides?

For the front, you can look from the front and at least see if the bump stops are inline (generally) with the pads on the axle. Measure similarly with the frame. This gives you a ball park. I wouldn't go by the tires as an absolute.

Look at your lower control arms at the axle. Are the bolts in the same location in the slot for both sides?

These are some starter things for you to check out on your own.
I love my ORE to death and all I wanted was to adjust the axle that was shifted over after my small lift. Took it to this shop who I've had warranty work done before (do most stuff myself). But it seems they have done more bad than good! I've made sure the rear axle is centered, I can take pictures of the axle, the u bolts marks as well as the alignment sheet and the write up of their work when I get home.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

Originally Posted by Ham Bone

Grab a tape a measure and get to measuring as WN suggested. You will likely have an idea of whats going on in a few minutes

and its free
I'm gonna do some more measuring as well as take some pictures after work!

Old 10-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

Okay, so I went to another shop and told them what was going on. I showed them the paperwork that P&M auto (shop that installed track bar) gave me. In the paperwork it clearly states that they purposely put the truck OUT OF ALIGNMENT to center the axle. The guys at the other shop said they should never purposely send a vehicle off being out of alignment knowing it can pull to one side (also stated in paperwork). He said I should go back and demand that the truck be put back in alignment. Soooooooo I went on back to P&M and told them what the other shop said. They told me that they will put it back in spec but that the axle will look off center again. It WILL be in spec, and drive down the road straight and not cause any strange wear on tires, BUT won't be centered. To do that they wanted to charge me $400!!! After some choice words they agreed to do it how they had it the first time for free. Again. When I asked why the axle won't be centered even after the instilation of an adjustable track bar they went on to tell me that "that's just how these trucks are, they all ride dog-legged" "go look at another dodge truck, especially if it's lifted, and it will be dog-legged". I don't understand, is this true??? I thought that was the purpose of an adjustable track bar, to re-center the axle. I know the front axle is wider than the rear, but I don't see why it wouldn't be centered front and back. As of now I'm taking the truck in on Friday to be put into spec. After I get it back, what do I do?

Old 10-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

Here is a picture of the leaf springs where they bolt on the axle
Name:  IMAG1052_zpsbpcqzbp2.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  81.6 KB
Name:  IMAG1053_zpssn27hnyr.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  54.6 KB

Here is the paperwork I was given

Name:  IMAG1054_zpshhvb6flz.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  61.1 KB
Name:  IMAG1055_zps51ddzgj2.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  64.9 KB

Old 10-01-2014, 09:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

The bottom caps aren't nearly as important as the tops. You have nothing to worry about there. The spring perches are what actually locate the rear axle.

The first shop is feeding you a line of crap. Had you just adjusted your track bar, and re-centered the steering yourself, you would have saved yourself a lot of headache.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:42 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

Well once I get it back and it is aligned properly, if it's still not centered I'm gonna adjust it myself. All I have to do is adjust the track bar to be longer and then the drag link to make the wheel straight right?

Old 10-01-2014, 09:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Yep.

And you can bet that the axle is going to be off center when you get it back...... Won't matter that they don't NEED to move it to correct the issues. I think they just don't know how to deal with the dodge style suspension.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

I'm almost certain it will be off. But I'm getting it fixed and then I'm adjusting it like I should have done in the first place! Would have saved a lot of headaches! I'll adjust it Saturday morning and post some pictures. Thanks for everything guys! I'll keep ya posted!

Old 10-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

I still have no clue how the idiots at P&M Automotive couldn't figure this out. And can't belive I was dumb enough to not just do it myself. Literally loosened 2 nuts and 2 bolts. Turned some stuff by hand (don't know why those guys f'd up my bars finish) and boom! Done! Check it out

Nut on one side of the track bar
Name:  IMAG1060_zps8cqvxcqq.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  56.2 KB
Other side
Name:  IMAG1061_zpsbgsrhagf.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  48.1 KB

Drag link bolts
Name:  IMAG1062_zps6alg1off.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  60.6 KB

End links
Name:  IMAG1063_zpszhfgwbe9.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  52.4 KB
Name:  IMAG1064_zpsj5aqrvrv.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  52.1 KB

Tires
Name:  IMAG0570_20141004154836591_zpsim6ohp3m.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  46.3 KB

Old 10-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Juvenator93
Professional

So now that the track bar is installed and properly adjusted, I hear a clunk when going over speed bumps. I made sure everything was tight and am having a hard time locating the source...

Quick Reply: front axle not centered?