2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 09:22 PM
matrhorn
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise when turning

So recently I have been experiencing a noise every time I make a turn in my 2001 Ram 1500 4x4. It sounds like rusty door hinges. My first guess was check my power steering fluid (I do have a slow leak somewhere that I have known about for a few months). Power steering fluid is fine.

My current guess is the left side tie rod is bad cause I recently replaced the right side cause of the same noise. Any other ideas as to what is though?

Old 10-19-2014, 09:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Basically, need to check anything that moves when you turn. Having a spare body to turn the wheels, while you are poking about makes the exercise easier.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:56 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check ball joints as well.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would look hard at the wheel bearings.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:54 PM
spicy_puerto_rican
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's your Power Steering Pump that most likely needs to be replaced... at least what I was told. I just recently had a full replacement of tie-rods, ball joints, rotors, calipers, pads, drums, shoes, etcetera. I thought having all the above replaced would solve the problem... it didn't. I kind of didn't think it would solve the problem anyway because the noise would sound-off but I can also feel it deep within the steering column, like around the back part of the engine near the driver's side of the firewall. But yes, you are right... it does sound like an old rusty door that hasn't been greased or WD-40'd in years.

Solution:
You can go to www.RockAuto.com and search for your truck and click on the *Steering* tab, then click on *Power Steering Pump*. The prices range from $40-$100 with all pumps having been remanufactured. Some pumps have reservoirs and others don't... then (1) has the pump WITH the reservoir and NO filtration, and (1) has the pump WITH the reservoir & WITH the filtration.

Quick Reply: Noise when turning