2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

sct tuner questions

Old 10-19-2014, 12:38 AM
BigOrange 83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sct tuner questions

Hello to all...this is my first post on this forum. I am looking at buying the sct hemiforever tune, however I have questions that im sure some of you can answer. First of all I have a 2001 ram standard cab long bed 4x4 with 5.2 and 118,000 miles 265/75/16 tire..truck is bone stock, runs fine but I would like a little more power, especially on takeoff im assuming this is due to torque managment..and would like to see a little better fuel milage. Now I understand im not getting a 30-40hp gain but my first question is what can I expect to see as far as hp gains and mpg? Ballpark figure would be nice. My second question about the device itself. Ive read alot of reviews and threads where people say they paid $265 for them, but on the website there are 2 options it seems. The $395 tuner that comes with 3 preset tunes and from what I understand a $150 update for a tuner but not the device itself.. I would think how it works is you pay the $395 for the device and if you want a custom tune you send the device back explaining what you want..what mods you Have ect...for a additinal $100. If someone could please explain if I have this right or enlighten me? Thanks

Old 10-19-2014, 09:43 AM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

Yes you have the pricing right. As far as hp gain I couldn't tell you, mileage I'm not totally sure either. I didn't pay close attention to that. The biggest thing is removing the torque management and that's the most notable thing. If you're looking at getting the tuner and have the money I'd say go for it. It's one of the better things to get for our trucks.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Another member posted some dyno charts from his truck before/after using a couple different hemifever tunes. I don't think he saw a lot of horsepower (single digits) but, torque was appreciably better. I think that thread is in the FAQ section..... I think.

Once you have the tuner, new tunes can be emailed to you, and you simply upload them to the tuner. No need to send it back.

Recently, the X2 tuners were discontinued. The X3 tuners are a bit more expensive, that's why you are seeing prices that were lower than they currently are. If you can find an X2 tuner on the used market, you can then buy just the tunes from HF, and be good to go.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:43 AM
BigOrange 83

10-4... now I understand.thank you for your direction...

Old 10-20-2014, 08:45 PM
bulldodgemoe
Professional

I LOVE MY TUNER.....BEST DAMN $400 I HAVE EVER SPENT.
dont know HP gain. mileage i will say is better, could be due to the 92 octane tune. but holy hell this truck hauls now. i have nothing special added to mine. but it will burn the tires off now from a dead stop now. hills?? bring them on. i am actually thinking during the winter months putting stock tune back on due the increase of tire spin now on dry pavement. imagine in the snow/ice??

Old 10-20-2014, 10:36 PM
BigOrange 83

So if I order the tuner from hemifever for $395 then I have 3 tunes to choose from..i think I read it states for stock engines or bolt ons then the basic 3 preset tunes are fine. Is this what you are using now? Alot of people are saying they have hemifever tweak and tune for them until its what they want..I will be using the 87 tune 90% of the time because im cheap and like to buy gas that is cheap 😎 and I would like some more power and fuel milage....also the other question I have is I read you can only retune 5 or 6 times..are these times counted only when I try to tune a diff vehicle? And do I have to put my truck back to the stock setting before I tune a different vehicle?

Old 10-20-2014, 10:40 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

5 to 6 times is 5-6 diff vehicles. You can upload an unlimited number of times to your specific truck when it's paired.

Yes you can only have one tune on one vehicle at a time. It vin locks to the specific vehicle. After yous st it back to stock you can use a diff vehicle

Old 10-21-2014, 06:36 PM
BigOrange 83

Thank you for clearing that up for me...if the force is with me I will have new cooper at3's and the sct tuner next month..thank you all for your help

Old 10-21-2014, 08:09 PM
bulldodgemoe
Professional

as much as we are all here to answer your question on this. best is to email them directly. they can answer your questions for you better.
very helpfull they are

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sct tuner questions