2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Warm Up Smoke

Old 10-22-2014, 08:42 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Autozone has double roller timing sets, and they should be in your area. Their part number for one is 78103

Here is a link http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._333986_18429_

Old 10-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Bamabrat
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djbucky3
For reference, when i click that link, the manual comes up
Great. It's just me. I'll try it on a different computer. I can also pull up the 2001 manual, but not the 1998-1999. Thank you.

Originally Posted by 1997JollyGreenGiant
Autozone has double roller timing sets, and they should be in your area. Their part number for one is 78103

Here is a link http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._333986_18429_
Thank you. I saw that but didn't realize it was a double roller. I generally try to use auto zone if I can because they are close to me, have long hours, and I utilize their rewards program frequently.

So right now I will go ahead and buy the timing chain set from auto zone, a fel pro timing cover gasket set, the intake manifold gasket set, and I've already bought the plenum repair kit from Hughes. I'm thinking I should replace the water pump as well (after reading other plenum / timing chain threads on the forum), but some of them on the auto zone website have a press-on pulley without a threaded heater port and some have the threaded heater port and don't come with a pulley. Which do I need for my truck? This one? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...6636_644388_0_

It also states the fan clutch should be replaced at the same time as the water pump. Is that really necessary?

Old 10-22-2014, 12:05 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker

Don't grab that pump, grab this water pump:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...1165_381126_0_

The pulley is included with the one I linked to. It will last longer than the one you linked to (better made, better bearings). You'll want to grab one of these tubes too: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...6_326294_2826_ as they can corrode.

Me, I'd probably re-use the fan clutch until it was a problem, but that's me. Could do it now and not worry about it later.

You can rent a 3 jaw puller from them too. You put a deposit down on it and they refund you when you return it.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:47 PM
Bamabrat
Professional

I got the water pump, but that tube is out of stock. I'll have to see if a different place carries it. Is the 3-jaw pulled the only big tool that I'll need to rent for replacing the plenum, water pump, and timing chain?

Old 10-22-2014, 03:12 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might need the tool to hold the water pump from turning when you loosen the fan nut. Also this is an alternative to the 3 jaw puller if you don't want to rent one.
http://t.harborfreight.com/bolt-type...set-69889.html

Old 10-22-2014, 03:40 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by snowboundrmk
You might need the tool to hold the water pump from turning when you loosen the fan nut. Also this is an alternative to the 3 jaw puller if you don't want to rent one.
http://t.harborfreight.com/bolt-type...set-69889.html
That what I own! Got tired of renting that thing! Used it for harmonic balancers. Still had to rent a 3 jaw puller though...

+1 on the renting a tool to hold the water pump still! I've had 2 of these trucks, and did the timing chain on both. Couldn't get the fan off on either one. Ended up taking the water pump (with fan attached) and the fan shroud all out at the same time. That wasn't fun!

Old 10-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Bamabrat
Professional

So i need to rent a 3-jaw pulled from auto zone. What do I use this tool on? Fan nut?

Then I need the HF tool to hold the water pump? We're making a HF run this weekend and buying a generator and I'm getting a 3 ton floor jack.

General question...when I replace the gaskets (intake, water pump, plenum, etc.) do I just place the new gasket on (after cleaning all of the old gasket off both pieces) or do I put RTV on, then the gasket, then another layer of RTV? My tube of RTV dried up after I left the cap off when replacing the differential gasket. I have to get another tube at HF this weekend. Just wondering what parts I'll use it on when doing the plenum, timing chain, and water pump.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:10 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker

The 3 jaw puller is for the crankshaft sprocket for the timing set. I've done this twice, 2 different trucks. On 1 it was stuck like a rock, on the other, it came right off. You might not need it, or you may.

You'll need a 36MM fan clutch wrench for the fan nut though. It should be available for rent at autozone.

Some people use screw drivers to hold the water pump pulley still. I'd look it up on youtube and see what people are doing to hold the water pump still while removing. I couldn't get the fan lose from my water pump, so I removed the water pump with the fan still attached. The shroud came out at the same time. That was not fun!

You will not use RTV on the plenum gasket, but you will use it in the corners on the intake manifold gaskets.

You can also use a little around the water ports when doing your timing gasket.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Bamabrat
Professional

Originally Posted by 1997JollyGreenGiant
The 3 jaw puller is for the crankshaft sprocket for the timing set. I've done this twice, 2 different trucks. On 1 it was stuck like a rock, on the other, it came right off. You might not need it, or you may.
Mine will be stuck like a rock. that's how my luck rolls.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you use a gasket dont use rtv.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warm Up Smoke