2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trans problem. Did search and cant find my exact symptoms.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 PM
jpyatt1986
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans problem. Did search and cant find my exact symptoms.

Ok here goes it. It's a 96 ram 1500 5.2l 4wd not sure on what trans the sticker under hood is gone. I had the trans removed to have the freeze plugs changed. I usually do my own work but will not screw with the trans or I would've done it myself. So I picked it up after three days of waiting and here's my problems. It's very sluggish at takeoff. It doesn't seem to shift. When it does start going it just builds up speed but won't shift. I can't get above 2500 rpms in the city as I'm already going 40+ at that point and don't want to take it on the highway incase something is really wrong. The overdrive light is on indicating that it's actually off and I can't turn it on. Fluidlevel was down but I filled to where it needed to be and no change at all. It almost feels like the e brake is on when taking off. It does go but needs gas and has to get to a higher rpm to go. Until I get to that Rpm it just sits there. Does neone have any ideas on what it might be. I am taking it back down to him but just wanted a sense of what it could be. There was no service work to the trans itself. Just removal to get to the freeze plugs. Thanks in advance to anyone with advice.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have your mechanic check all electrical connections, and make sure the TV cable is adjusted properly.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:20 PM
jpyatt1986
Amateur

The trans ran absoluty fine before this so I'm thinking the same thing u are. That something in not hooked up right. The closest I came to what mine is doing in the search was it's starting in second gear. If I put in in 1st manually the truck goes forward just like it's supposed to. If I put it in drive it's almost like I have thee brake on is the best I can describe it.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:26 AM
jpyatt1986
Amateur

UpDate: so I took it to the garage. After arguing that the damn thing isnt right he got under the truck. He pulled a few plugs and repluged back in and wouldn't Ya know the overdrive button us working again. Took it for a test drive and it still wasn't shifting so here's why I'm not going back to him. He didn't know about the tv cable and it wasn't hooked up. He hooked it up and still nothing got back under it and I told him to watch it to see if it moves with the throttle as I open it. Guess what it wasnt. It was severely delayed. So he took it apart adjusted it and put it back together and she's back to life. I've rebuilt the whole engine in this and the front end but know nothing about transmissions. For me to be able to tell a transmission guy how to fix the problem because "he didn't know about the part" just sealed the deal on why I do my own work. I guess it's time to start learning more on transmissions huh.

Quick Reply: trans problem. Did search and cant find my exact symptoms.