2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering, where to start?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:34 AM
this_guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a minor leak. I'll leave it alone for now.

I'm looking around for an all included front end kit (ball joints, tie rods, end links, bushings, etc) and not finding one. If someone knows of one, feel free to post, otherwise I'll buy everything individually.

Thanks again for replies.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Isn't there a thread somewhere for an upgrade to cross-over steering for the D44? I seem to remember something along those lines...... since he is replacing everything, this would be a perfect opportunity to have better, more reliable steering.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Bamabrat
Professional

take a look at the pitman arm too. I had a lot of "give" with my steering wheel. I didn't want to use my trailer with that much give in the wheel, so I had a friend come over and while we were doing other stuff on the truck, i crawled under and he moved the steering wheel. My pitman arm was shot. Purchased one at Auto Zone for $30. Couldn't get the leverage to get it off myself, but found a decent shop to install it for me. Paid $100 for a used tire mounted and pitman arm install. They of course tried to tell me that my ball joints were bad, but I knew they weren't since I just checked them. The "give" is completely gone in the steering wheel now.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:48 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamabrat
take a look at the pitman arm too. I had a lot of "give" with my steering wheel. I didn't want to use my trailer with that much give in the wheel, so I had a friend come over and while we were doing other stuff on the truck, i crawled under and he moved the steering wheel. My pitman arm was shot. Purchased one at Auto Zone for $30. Couldn't get the leverage to get it off myself, but found a decent shop to install it for me. Paid $100 for a used tire mounted and pitman arm install. They of course tried to tell me that my ball joints were bad, but I knew they weren't since I just checked them. The "give" is completely gone in the steering wheel now.
How did determine a chunk of metal was bad?

Old 10-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Bamabrat
Professional

where the pitman arm attaches to the steering rod...that bushing was completely gone and when the steering wheel turned, so did the pitman arm. a lot.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:57 PM
this_guy

I noticed the alignment bar is not in position on this one and non existent on the other adjustment (closer to the driver side tire). I tested the ball joints today and they seem fine. Maybe I just need to get everything aligned.

Last edited by this_guy; 10-27-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:14 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by this_guy
Thanks for all of the replies. Just to be clear, I am not driving it. It is now parked and I am slowly going through everything and fixing and making it safe. It sat for a loooong time in a field after years of heavy useage. It was in the field due to transmission failure. The transmission has now been rebuilt and so I'm moving on to the next major problem, the front end.

Since everything is hammered, I'm thinking about just going through and replacing all tie rods, ball joints, shocks, and sway bar end links (i'm not sure what those are though). Then give it a DIY alignment with new tires, then take to a reputable shop for final check out. Does that make sense?
Good on you for being safe.

That is a decent plan to tackle the front steering components.

Knowing what I know now and being in your position of things, my suggestions would be:

1. Leave the axle leak for now, b/c it's still driveable. Can always pull diff plug and check level, which nominal is right to below plug.

2. You checked ball joints from previous post, at least to an extent you're ok with them at this point. If they are a problem, then they'll show it in a progressive manner, usually.

3. Tie rod ends can be obtained from most auto parts stores. Like NAPA. However, get a grease gun first and lube them up.

4. Sway bar links can be the last resort as long as not binding. Otherwise they are roughly a $25 each per Napa.

5. Main items to check are the track bar. Typical issue is at the frame side. That joint is a TRE style. Find the torque spec and lock it down for starters. Same for axle side.

6. From your previous post picture does not work. Most likely clicked unintended link. I found some of your images, so maybe you mean one of these, which are the drag link adjusters

this one at wheel and usually does not have alignment bar to my knowledge

Name:  20141026_115019_zps66d26dd3.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  69.0 KB

this at the pitman arm

Name:  20141026_115006_zpse63c33e6.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  76.0 KB[/URL]

Condition of the above is typical and nothing stands out as an issue just by those pictures.

7. Age of shocks?

Old 10-27-2014, 06:03 PM
this_guy

Yep, those are the correct pictures. I thought the alignment bar had to be between and held in place by those two brackets?

The shocks seems worn out to me, I bounce the front end a few times then let go and it bounces a few more before settling. Is there a better way to test? Or just replace those suckers, I know they are old.

Ok, those for the feedback and posting the correct pics for me. I still not sure whats wrong with my pic links.

I'm hoping to tear into this this weekend and will post pictures.

Last edited by this_guy; 10-27-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

If they are old, just replace 'em. Gotta torque the lower mounting bolts to something stupid, like 110 ft/lbs though. So, keep that in mind.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:05 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

If you're going to do ball joints, consider replacing the axle seals. You'll have almost everything removed anyway. You can unbolt the ring gear, pull it out, and put it back in as long as you keep the shims, bearing cups and caps on the same side as when you remove it. IF YOU MIX UP THE SHIMS the backlash will be wrong. It was a little challenge to get the ring gear and shims started back into the housing. I made a seal driver.

I don't know your skill level, budget, what tools you have, or what you plan to use the truck for. I'm not saying you should attempt this. I just wanted to point out it can be done at home.

If you hire some one to change them, consider having them do the ball joints and u-joints also. Otherwise you'll be tearing it all apart twice. Maybe consider running some Lucas additive. If the leak is small it might stop it.

Whatever you do with the seal, I would do the ball joints, u-joints, and wheel bearings (if needed). Then move on to the tie rod, drag link, and track bar. Now with all the worn parts replaced, align it. I think the only thing adjustable is the toe in and the drag link centers the steering wheel. Then I'd do shocks and finally the sway bar links and bushings. What condition is the steering box?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering, where to start?