2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New error code: P0740

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:31 PM
djbucky3
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New error code: P0740

Well guys i have a small story -> issue -> plead for help..

The other day i did a nice 150 mile drive or so. Probably about 100+ miles into the trip the "No OD" light turned on. So I pulled over, restarted the truck and I had od back again. About a mile down the road this same thing happened again. After the 3rd or 4th time, I could not find a spot to pull over so i just kept driving for a couple of miles with the "no od" light on. After those couple of miles the overdrive came back (light off) and i was good to go for the rest of the trip. Once i got close to my destination, in traffic, she seemed to be not too happy when i took my foot off the pedal. Gave a little jolt and then when accelerating had a very sluggish acceleration. Once i got to my destination i checked my transmission fluid. I was in the "ok" range, but at the bottom end. On the way back home later that night i did not have any "no od" issues. (The first drive was done in about 85 degrees vs the second in 60ish). Could this just be a over heating problem? In combination with the fluid being low. Or should i be really concerned?

So today i got a check engine light that is a misfire (this happens whenever i do not injector cleaner in a new tank of gas), and saw the P0740 error code along with it.. any thoughts? (po740 said "pending error" on it)

Last edited by djbucky3; 10-21-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

P0740 Torque Conv Clutch, No RPM Drop at Lockup

This could be a bad connection, bad wire, failing solenoid, or.... failing torque converter.

Is the check valve in the trans cooler line still there??

Old 10-26-2014, 11:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it means the PCM is commanding the transmission to lock up TCC lock, but the transmission is not doing so.

the sluggish start might indicate the PCM has gotten pissed off and switched to "limp mode" where it starts off in 3rd gear (like this does you any good). you can count your gear changes and rpm's to tell if this is happening, and if so, you can override it by shifting the gear handle manually 1-2-3, which is a pain. you can also reset the PCM to clear the codes and get a fresh start.

like HY said, could be a number of causes.
i don't know if the TCC solenoid is easily replaceable or not. how about it HY?

what you need is an electrical test/pressure test that proves whether TCC solenoid is working or not. if not it can be replaced for moderate dollars. if it is working, there's no point in wasting money to replace it, because you have a bigger problem. The clutch itself is integral to the TC, and requires TC replacement. It's a big job (or an expensive job to pay someone) to drop the trans.

It's one of those things- do I live with it as is (not fatal). do I spend a little. do I spend a lot. or worse- do I intend to spend a little and end up spending a whole lot. The big problem is finding a shop that does anything other than "you need a rebuild".

I recently had a similar P0741 on the old explorer. After screwing around with solenoid, valve body, etc it turned out to require a new TC. and to make matters worse, the first TC leaked and had to be replaced a second time. i intended to spend a little and ended up spending a whole lot, and then the wifey bought a new car anyway.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 10-26-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:45 PM
djbucky3
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mechanic and i had a talk about it, he believes it was just the solenoid. Our solution was to just wait and see approach. Have not had the error come back, and hope it stays that way.

Quick Reply: New error code: P0740