2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 1500 5.2L 2wd Rear End Swap??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Bamabrat
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 1500 5.2L 2wd Rear End Swap??

I still have the scraping sound coming from the rear end (only at low speed and when I hit the gas pedal). A friend of mine said we could swap out the whole rear end. Well, you guys said that wouldn't be necessary. I was looking on craigslist for a chrome rim (the spare is installed as the 4th wheel on my truck right now) and I ran across this 1999 rear end with a broken axle.

Please keep in mind that I'm new at this and may ask a stupid question. Actually, i'm pretty sure i'll ask something stupid, but at this point, I don't know what I don't know, so I'm reaching out for help.

What do you think about this craigslist ad? Should I look into this, or pass and try to locate the problem myself. My thought was to replace my rear end with this one and use my axle (if it can be transferred to a new rear end). What am I not realizing?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pts/4679237248.html

I have a 9 1/4 rear end on mine...stock.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

I would be curious just HOW they broke the axle......

Think I would be more tempted to put your truck up on jackstands, let it idle along in drive, and see if you can find where the noise is coming from.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:00 AM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to guess and say that the one bent rim is the reason the axle shaft broke.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Bamabrat
Professional

The shop has my truck still. They called last night and said that my carrier bearing came apart, messed up my carrier, and basically everything including the spider gears are going to have to be replaced. $2,000 if I go with replacing everything. He suggested I just let him find a rear end from a junkyard and swap it. I'm going to ask for my rear back so I can part it out or have spare parts on-hand for later use.

Does this sound possible...that I could still be driving the truck with only the grinding sound and this much damage was going on in the gears?

If I have to get a rear-end from a junkyard, how do I know that rear end doesn't have the same issue? Should I try to do this myself or just let the shop install it / check out the gears in the new rear end for me?

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would be go right over and have them show you directly the pieces. Don't give them the heads up. Just to check for your own eyes, take pictures, so that you can do some pricing out of your own.

You should be able to get a junkyard rear end for no more than $300. If I was in your shoes, I'd find the rear end...and expect to refurb the whole thing as a minimum. You can adjust that list by checking condition (brakes, bearings, carrier, etc.).

Old 10-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Bamabrat
Professional

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I would be go right over and have them show you directly the pieces. Don't give them the heads up. Just to check for your own eyes, take pictures, so that you can do some pricing out of your own.

You should be able to get a junkyard rear end for no more than $300. If I was in your shoes, I'd find the rear end...and expect to refurb the whole thing as a minimum. You can adjust that list by checking condition (brakes, bearings, carrier, etc.).
Good Idea. I'll drop by today. You referring to the gears as well? If I was going to refurb the whole rear end, why wouldn't I just do that to my own? Maybe I'm not understanding you right.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Find a junkyard rear end and plan or rebuilding everything. but then go through it and things that are in good condition you don't need to rebuild.

Your axle as it is now is likely trashed and your only option would be to fix everything. Whereas it's unlikely you would have to fix every single thing in another axle and thus save you money.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Bamabrat
Professional

Gotcha. Thanks. Think I found two rear ends with 3.55 gears (chrystler 9.25). One is $300. Came off a 99 1500 5.2l that ran fine, but the parts were worth more than the whole truck, so parted out. 2 hours away.

Second is $150 if it fits. The guy will check the gear ratio tomorrow. I have to call him back. Also came off a 99 1500 5.2L (so it should fit) but engine blew up and they're parting the truck out. Approx 1 hr away from my location.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:06 PM
COL
Rookie

The gear ratio really wont matter since you are sporting a 2wd truck. Heck a lower gear ratio just might be beneficial to you as far as the low end grunt and fun factor is concerned.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:16 PM
tot64
Professional

Check the rear axle yoke. I tried to swap an 01 into a 97, and where the universal joint bolts up is different. The 01 had a piece on the driveshaft that bolts to the rear end, whereas the 97 u-joint had straps that bolted directly to the rear end. I don't know if you would have this problem, but I did and I still haven't figured out how to fix it. Just making sure you don't have no problems. Just figured id throw that tidbit of info out there

Quick Reply: 1999 1500 5.2L 2wd Rear End Swap??