2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Doors Stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 11:27 PM
COL
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Doors Stuck!

I recently purchased a new to me 2001 Dodge Ram quad cab and both my rear doors are stuck shut. The top latch functions perfectly but the bottoms are both stuck. My question would be is there a better way that hitting them with some penetrating oil then beating and pulling on them to death and hope you don't break anything? It is very frustrating to have such a nice overall truck and both doors dont budge, but I can walk through the local salvage yard and every single door functions whether it be a POS, crashed, or parked.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:00 AM
sam3293
Professional

Remove the bottom section of the interior panel then push in the little black box on the bottom. Now stick a crow bar in and pop up the latch manually. I had to buy new bottom latches for my doors. Or u can remove the handle and pull up on the bottom rod with vice grips and use pliers to pull the top down also works.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:14 AM
COL
Rookie

Well guys after much penetrating oil, taking the door all apart, prying on the lever, shoulder checking the door, kicking the crap out of it, and beating on it with a rubber mallet it seems that all I got out of it was possiby a tweaked door. Now the bottom is loose and moves back and fourth about 1/2" and that is it. I don't know what else to do.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:49 AM
sam3293
Professional

With the crow bar pulling the bottom latch up use the door handle to unlatch the top. Should work easy. Maybe the top is disconnected as well or rusted together.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:56 AM
COL
Rookie

the top latch is functioning perfectly

Old 10-31-2014, 09:45 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you taken the inside handle off? I fixed my sisters back door for the same problem and I believe I just took the inside handle off to open the door (it's been a while since I did it).
I think you can manually pop those latches with a flat head screwdriver too.
The handle is connected to two bars that go to the top and bottom latches, it's connected with a little metal clip that isn't very strong. The clip was broken on her truck so I reconnected the bars and slipped a washer over the end of each rod then pinched it with some channel locks so it was bent like a taco and holding on tight. The rods are threaded but I think I couldn't find a nut to fit at the house and that's why I used washers.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:21 AM
COL
Rookie

I got both doors to open. All it took was a 6x8 block of wood and a 8lb sludge hammer swinging from the inside a few times. Pretty much just broke the latches open and now all I have to do is replace them. Pretty Exciting feeling...LOL

Old 11-03-2014, 03:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by COL
I got both doors to open. All it took was a 6x8 block of wood and a 8lb sludge hammer swinging from the inside a few times. Pretty much just broke the latches open and now all I have to do is replace them. Pretty Exciting feeling...LOL
Gary-L will be proud.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:02 PM
COL
Rookie

There is just something not quite right about working on your trucks interior with a sludge hammer...lol

Quick Reply: Rear Doors Stuck!