2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel seal help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel seal help

Well I seen this morning that both of wheel seals on my front axle are leaking. Passenger side had a small puddle underneath it and was dripping, the driver side was soaked around the u joint and little up the axle. I'm gunna try and replace the wheel seals myself. I've done wheel seals on semis before but never on my truck. I'm going to looking around DF for more info on this topic. What I'm asking for is anyone know of any tips that can help me or any useful knowledge they've had in past experiences with these wheel seals?

Old 10-30-2014, 11:45 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

see here.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-3.html
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-5.html

i thought we had one in here, but i don't see it. the service manuals are here.
there's a lot of threads with good pics, but i guess they scattered back in history. you can search my old posts to find them.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...d-how-tos-143/

for the passenger side, you have to make or buy a seal puller, and seat it inside the cad. for the drivers side, you have to remove the differential and tap it in in the inside of the pumpkin. get good seals, National or Mopar or SKF because you don't want to ever do it again. while the diff case and tubes are empty, clean all the dirt, mud, rocks, sticks, and crap out of them. and lastly when reinserting the axle shafts, be very gentle and lift them up over the seal lips.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:18 AM
cjantczak
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These seals are more of a pain than changing the ones on semis Lol. nahh there probably not that bad just time consuming, i too need to do mine, my passenger side is leaking but if im going to have the front end apart im going to do both sides and while im at it im going to get the outter axle tube seals to keep dirt water sand etc out of there when im off roading.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:05 AM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

Thanks guys, I've found a few threads on the axle seals but they were scattered all over. I'm just debating on wether to do the seals myself or ,if I have enough money, to regear and have the seals done then since I'm that deep into the axles.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:22 AM
cjantczak
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going to regear i would just wait on doing the axle seals as long as there not leaking that bad i would wait to do em.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:19 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 299 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by cjantczak
If your going to regear i would just wait on doing the axle seals as long as there not leaking that bad i would wait to do em.

My feelings on this, too. Just be sure to keep the axle full of gear oil, so that you don't end up with issues due to lack of oil from the leak.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

If I can find a decent priced shop around my area I'm going with 4.10's. I can find only 3 brands for my Dana 44, is Richmond gears a good brand? And I was thinking motive for my 9.25

Old 11-02-2014, 10:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Richmond is one of the better ones. USA gear is less expensive, and supposedly, lower quality..... (harder to get installed, and quiet) but, fair few folks have had good success with them.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:26 AM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

Ok sweet. For regearing, I just need new gears or is there other stuff I need to get? ...plus my dad picked me up axle seals (SKF) and both seals are two piece set, does that sound right for the seals?

Old 11-02-2014, 03:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Two pieces for seals? Can you post a pic?

When doing the gears, also replace ring/pinion/carrier bearings. (get an installation kit. comes with everything you need.)

Quick Reply: Wheel seal help