2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wiring Blues

Old 10-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Dieselweasle
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Wiring Blues

Alright, so I bought a new set of off road lights, as I mounted the old ones on the bottom of the bumper(in sig) and first mud run they were completely destroyed, so I redid most of the wiring as some of the mishaps I had initially wiring them in (lack of fuses and some melted wires) Anyways, I have the wiring as follows:
Lights grounded together and connected to Pin 87 on relay
Pin 85 is grounded to frame (using battery ground)
Pin 30 is linked with a 20A fuse to the battery
Pin 86 goes to single pole 40 Amp switch and other line goes to battery with another 20 Amp fuse at battery

Here's my issue, I have power to the relay and to the switch when on, but nothing is going to the lights. Google does not help with this issue, so here I am. I am in no way or form an expert with wiring and really want/ need these lights to be working for the highway driving up here as the stock headlights suck.

Lights are 55W each and they are both mounted on top of the bumper, in front of the grille.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:41 PM
Dieselweasle
Professional

Also, just tested the relay, and it clicks when power is added to Pin 86 and 0 ohmss between 87 and 30 and just for fun, I swapped another tested relay and nothing...

Old 10-30-2014, 10:00 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds right except your lights need to be grounded to the frame or I think pin 85 will work too.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:20 AM
95' 360 Ram
Professional

Pin 86 should have power from your switch and 30 gets power from battery. 87 goes to your lights and should ground to metal after lights. 85 is ground only

Old 10-31-2014, 01:00 AM
Dieselweasle
Professional

I should clarify that the lights are grounded on the frame and then the + side goes to pin #87. I get power to the switch when I turn it on and there is power at the relay all the time. I'm completely stumped as to why neither relay works. I will double check when it's lighter and warmer out and maybe move the grounds around. Pin #85 is using the same ground my battery uses, is what I meant as well

Old 10-31-2014, 10:51 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

When I did mine, I downloaded relay instructions from the net and studied it a while because I have zero electrical experience. Turns out, I was able to effectively wire up not one but two sets of lights: one set of driving lights up front and a set of backup lights in the rear under the bumper. They have worked now for over three years without issue. Both have lighted switches too which made for another wrinkle. Maybe just start over with a new schematic and wires? I remember using existing grounds near the battery. Could be something isn't crimped just right (if you're not soldering) or something isn't grounded.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:51 AM
67dart273

Some ramblings from an old guy.

Many lamps do not ground properly with the mounting. Often, it's better to add a second ground wire right to the lamp connection inside the lamp itself. Don't depend on bumpers. Believe it or not, it's possible that they are rusted enough under the bolts that they are not grounded

RELAYS

Watch polarity on the coil connections. Some of these "Bosch" style relays have built in diodes across the coils, which is supposed to reduce damage to the switching circuit. This makes the coil polarity sensitive.

Sounds like you have it hooked up right.

Below is an example Pin 85 MUST be ground.

Last edited by 67dart273; 11-01-2014 at 02:55 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiring Blues