2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 1500 Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:34 PM
dooie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think its one PINT from "merely ok" to "full"..... at least, gm trannies were like that.....
Thank you. That's one of the things I was wondering about. I'll go slow.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:12 PM
dooie

I added the transmission fluid today (AutoZone "Chrysler ATF+4") and all went well.
I am a little surprised that it only took about 1/2 of the quart bottle that I purchased to bring it up to the top of the "OK" line. So far the truck is running fine and seems to be shifting through all gears ... but, the problem has only occurred two times on two separate occasions, so I'll just have to drive it around to be sure. I will report back. Thanks for your input so far.

Last edited by dooie; 11-15-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:45 PM
dooie

Two days later, all is well.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Awesome! Thanks for the update.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:52 PM
dooie

Three days later. All is well. However ...
I must say that I did something else in addition to adding transmission fluid.
While I was under the hood, I noticed that one of the two wires going to the negative battery terminal was loose. After I tightened it, my problems disappeared!
1. Transmission problem - gone!
2. Speedometer jumping - gone!
3. There was one other problem that I didn't mention that was also occurring. After I would start the engine, within seconds, the rpm's would drop and the engine would die. This, like the other two problems was intermittent. That problem too gone!

So, in conclusion, even though the transmission fluid was low, I think that all of the problems that I was experiences were related to loose wires!
In this age of computer controlled chattering between all parts, no matter what the problem is, CHECK THE WIRING. CHECK THE WIRING. CHECK THE WIRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-20-2014, 01:02 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dooie
So, in conclusion, even though the transmission fluid was low, I think that all of the problems that I was experiences were related to loose wires!
I'm really glad you followed up because I deleted what I was going to post a few days ago in order to avoid being again perceived as a jerk. What that was: Being a pint low is only going to manifest as a problem when the vehicle is at extreme angles or cornering, accelerating, or braking very dramatically. A low fluid level is only an active problem while the pump pickup (the filter) is not submerged in ATF and so sucks air. If it's not sucking air, it's not a problem.

And more than that, I'm glad that you got your problem solved. Good on ya!

Old 11-20-2014, 11:27 AM
dooie

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Being a pint low is only going to manifest as a problem when the vehicle is at extreme angles or cornering, accelerating, or braking very dramatically. A low fluid level is only an active problem while the pump pickup (the filter) is not submerged in ATF and so sucks air. If it's not sucking air, it's not a problem.
Good to know! Thank you for that.
My truck is still running well.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:48 PM
dooie

Truck still running well.
ALWAYS CHECK THE WIRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 1500 Transmission Problems