2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

-14 Coolant frooze, overheated her

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

If you have it in the budget, just replace the heads. Chances are good when you have them checked, they will find cracks in any event. The stock heads sucked. Very poor casting. For around 600 bucks, you can get a pair of NEW heads, that are better castings. (thicker deck, less prone to cracking) In the long run, you will be happier.

Or, if you don't have it in the budget, take BOTH heads in for a check-up/valve job. Don't just do one. That can have some odd results.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:38 AM
endobear
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my stock heads about 65,000 miles ago w/J@C cylinder exchange heads.
Replacing the heads isn't really in the budget but neither was overheating her so Ill do what I got to do as long as I don't need a new motor.

Before this happened I had planned on selling the van in the next couple of months.

I have been looking for a AWD van and I think she got jealous.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ah, ok, that changes things. Have 'em checked out, take it from there.

I have a 92 Chevy Astro AWD. It has over 250K miles on it at this point, with the original engine and trans. I bought it several years ago as a "spare" vehicle for 600 bucks.... just needed a bit of brake work, and a tune-up. Withing two weeks, the garage I had working on my malibu, screwed it up, and smoked the motor, and the van became a daily driver..... Aside from just regular maintenance, I have replace a heater fitting on the intake, the ignition lock cylinder (was jamming up.) Done front and rear brakes, and a couple lines, and that's it. I keep thinking I need to be looking for a replacement, due to the miles.... but, it just never quits. Always starts, runs decent, drives nice. I probably have a less than 100 bucks into it, total. When I go to replace it, I will be looking for another.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:27 PM
endobear
Amateur

Ive been casually looking for an AWD Astro or Safari. I hear good things about them. I like my Dodge van (I've owned a couple) but need something a little better in the snow for hauling the kids around.

Took the heads to the machine shop and it looks like one is cracked.
Looks like its time to start shopping for some new ones. Any leads? I need to save $.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FITS-DODGE-JEEP-MAGNUM-5-2-5-9-318-360-CYLINDER-HEAD-/151143600048?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2330dc4fb0
Probably the best head for the least money you are going to find. Then have some 'reman' heads that are cheaper, but, being as how they get shaved, it only makes a crappy head worse..... Free shipping on these too. A pair for 600 bucks. Less than what you would be for one head from just about anywhere else.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:06 PM
dean98ram1500
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, I don't know for sure, but since your passenger side progressively got worse as going towards the back of the motor, does anyone else think the cat maybe clogged as well for he head to crack? I've heard of several occasions where heads have cracked due to clogged cats.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

In this case, it overheated...... probably wouldn't hurt to do the plenum, if it hasn't been done yet, and then test the cat, once he has it all back together.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:19 PM
dean98ram1500
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That makes me wonder about my truck now...
I have some weird misfire in #8 I can't get rid of, sluggish performance, and she sputters when shes in "DRIVE" and you just let off the brake and no gas is applied....and the OD to 3rd dropdown does like "downshift" the another one and the truck takes off, transmission guy said my motor is on it's way out, and I'm beginning to believe him.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:08 PM
endobear
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
In this case, it overheated...... probably wouldn't hurt to do the plenum, if it hasn't been done yet, and then test the cat, once he has it all back together.

I have not done the plenum. Even though I plan to sell her, I will be replacing it while Im in there.
Thanks for the link for the heads.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:49 AM
endobear
Amateur

Putting together a parts list.
Heads. (I don't want to, but I may have to go rebuilt here. $ is getting tight and I do plan to sell the van within the next 3000-6000 miles)
Head bolts kit
Head gaskets, Intake gasket, valve cover gaskets. exhaust manifold gaskets. EGR tube gasket.
Plenum repair kit.
Plugs and wires.
Rotor and cap.
Thermostat and housing.
Enough oil and filters to do 3 oil changes. (trying to get all the antifreeze out od the oil)
Antifreeze.
Catalytic Converter.
Possibly a new Radiator. (may have cracked the plastic one that I put in 4 years ago)

I think that's about it.
Am I forgetting anything?

Quick Reply: -14 Coolant frooze, overheated her