2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 Ram 1500 5.2 - What is going on with my PVC Valve/Vacuum lines?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:37 PM
interestingusername
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Ram 1500 5.2 - What is going on with my PCV Valve/Vacuum lines?

My truck has been off the road for a little while, a few mechanical things that the previous owner didn't maintain need doing.

One of the more confusing issues(the pictures hopefully explain it better than me) is that the PCV valve is just GONE, and the part of the valve cover where it should be is wide open. The intake port where I assume the PCV valve should plug into has been plugged with some other hoses, and it's a bit of a mess to say the least.

1996 Ram 1500 5.2 - What is going on with my PVC Valve/Vacuum lines?-td6sdmk.jpg
1996 Ram 1500 5.2 - What is going on with my PVC Valve/Vacuum lines?-oq3angn.jpg

This doesn't seem to affect the drivability of the truck, at least not that I'm aware of. Still, I can't imagine it's a good thing, and I want to take care of it, but I have no real clue where these hoses are going or what they're for.

If it helps, the only vacuum-related problems the truck has is that my climate control has wild vents, there's a port on the back of the air box on the drivers side with nothing going into it(I'm not sure if that should have a hose running to it) and the brakes are very sensitive(I'm assuming this is due to the brake booster.)

One other thing, I've read hearsay that a bad PCV valve could end up triggering a CEL for a bad o2 sensor, which my truck is showing. I'm going to be replacing the sensor regardless, but is there any chance that's not just a coincidence?

Thank you. please excuse the forest between my intake and valve cover

Last edited by interestingusername; 11-18-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: I confused "PCV" for "PVC"!
Old 11-18-2014, 01:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

That broken off piece should be the PCV valve. On the drivers valve cover, there should be a 'breather', with a hose going to the hole in the air box.

Wild Vents: Replace the check valve in your vacuum line, I don't even see one there.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:01 PM
interestingusername

My apologies if I'm not getting it, but when you say there's a breather on the drivers valve cover, are you referring to this?

1996 Ram 1500 5.2 - What is going on with my PVC Valve/Vacuum lines?-4hqwbsk.jpg

If it is, is everything in order there? With what you said, it sounds like that hose is in totally the wrong place.

As for the PCV valve, where would I be plugging it into? The only port that I see on the passenger side of the intake is where those vacuum lines are, and unless I'm mistaken, isn't that where the PCV valves hose should be?

Old 11-18-2014, 02:08 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You should have a breather on the driver side, and it should go up to your airbox. It looks like you have a PCV valve there though...

The broken piece on the passenger side is where your PCV should be, and there would be a hose going into your intake where that blue vacuum joint is hooked up.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Looks like someone updated the PCV system to the newer style. (think it changed in 00, or so?) Had the valve in the drivers side, and just an elbow on the passenger side, then a hose going up and over the air box, to the fitting there. Wonder if that's a replacement motor?

Old 11-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your PCV is on the drivers side and plugged up accordingly to the intake.

On the passenger side. That is a breather with a hose that runs to the top of air hat. Their should be a little place to put a vacuum line on the air intake housing.

That breather can be bought at oreillys for like 4 bucks.

What year truck you got?

Last edited by Ham Bone; 11-18-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:46 PM
interestingusername

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Looks like someone updated the PCV system to the newer style. (think it changed in 00, or so?) Had the valve in the drivers side, and just an elbow on the passenger side, then a hose going up and over the air box, to the fitting there. Wonder if that's a replacement motor?
I was told the engine had been rebuilt, but I was led to believe it was the original engine, as opposed to a replacement block. Your guess is as good as mine, but that makes it sound like a replacement engine.

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Your PCV is on the drivers side and plugged up accordingly to the intake.

On the passenger side. That is a breather with a hose that runs to the top of air hat. Their should be a little place to put a vacuum line on the air intake housing.

That breather can be bought at oreillys for like 4 bucks.

What year truck you got?
It's 1996. What research I did, unless I mixed something up REALLY badly(I'm starting to believe I might have), led me to believe that the PCV was on the passenger side for '96, which is why I thought it was missing.

So, in other words, what I'm actually missing is the breather and hose?

Old 11-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh well that spiel be correct for a 96 year.

Perhaps someone swapped in a later engine?

But yes. That little breather and hose and you should be fine.

Do you have a little post thing on the passenger side of air intake right beside where the air intake piping from the fender comes in? If not you might have to convert it back or do some funky wiring.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:21 PM
interestingusername

I'm glad to hear that about the breather. I had no idea this was a newer engine, so it was really throwing me for a loop.

1996 Ram 1500 5.2 - What is going on with my PVC Valve/Vacuum lines?-1vu3afd.jpg
I had to take the air box off to get a good photo of it, but is this the post you were referring to?

Thank you all for the help, and sorry about the confusion!

Old 11-18-2014, 03:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The one on the bottom is a mount. Should be a stud sticking up from the intake that goes down over. Breather hose goes to a fitting that should be on the back side of the housing.

Quick Reply: 1996 Ram 1500 5.2 - What is going on with my PVC Valve/Vacuum lines?