2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C compressor kicking on and off with heat on

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:34 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C compressor kicking on and off with heat on

Point me towards the right direction, It finally got cold enough here in south Texas to need the heater. With the heater on in any position I can hear my compressor kicking in and out. Is this normal operation? Maybe a faulty selector switch? What do you guys think. All opinions will be considered, some will be tried. Thanks

Old 11-19-2014, 02:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I know on my 2014 Journey, the compressor comes on and off on it's own to control cabin humidity regardless of selector switch setting. I was thinking this was a featureon newer vehicles where more and more stuff is computer controlled. Not so sure this would be the case on a second gen Ram.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

I think the only setting it WON'T cycle in, is Heat.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:11 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far I am looking at either pulling the fuse and not having a good defroster or breaking out the FSM and tracing the circuit. Maybe that is what took out my original clutch coil.
Everbody knows us lazy people just want someone to give us the answer. Wait, nobody said plenum or clogged cat. LOL

Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

The purpose of running the compressor when for the defroster is: (ostensibly) Refrigerated air carries less moisture....... so far as I am concerned, if I need the defroster, all the air outside is ALREADY pretty 'refrigerated'...... but then, I am in michigan, and you are in Texas.......

Old 11-19-2014, 09:13 PM
COL
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its normal. Nearly all of the dodges do it. Simple solution, unplug the wire connector going to the A/C compressor. Ive done it with no harm to any of mine and you don't have to listen to the annoying compressor kick on and off.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:35 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by COL
Simple solution, unplug the wire connector going to the A/C compressor. Ive done it with no harm to any of mine and you don't have to listen to the annoying compressor kick on and off.
But you might have to replace your compressor when the long months of not running the thing cause it to self destruct the next time the clutch is engaged.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:09 PM
dean98ram1500
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can second this. I have noticed with the heat on, vents coming straight at me, the compressor doesn't run. As soon as I flick it to the feet/coming straight at me selection, I can hear my compressor kicking on and of intermittently. Quite annoying if I may say so myself as I don't want to burn the dam thing out.
Now, may I also point out, I'm a candidate of the "wacky vents". (can't find that dam vaccuum leak, and also do not have the system full of refrigerant as it keeps leaking out of the dam system. lol. Oh the joys of owning a Dodge!

Old 11-20-2014, 11:30 PM
ReadRam
All Star

I think it's the plenum! Har Har! Compressor is designed to come on in defroster mode, not only for the moisture thing, but to keep the seals from drying out. As most people wouldn't turn it on until next summer, so it;s a default thing. If it's kicking on and off a lot for short time, then maybe low refrigerant.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:27 AM
COL
Rookie

i have done it for years on all my trucks and NEVER had a A/C compressor problem.just unplug it and be done with the annoying thing. Plug it back in when the weather turns warm again.

Quick Reply: A/C compressor kicking on and off with heat on