2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Taking apart mirrors

Old 11-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking apart mirrors

Has anyone taken apart their side mirrors before? My driver's side mirror, the mirror heater, hasn't worked since I bought the truck and I'd like to fix it sometime soon if I get the time. I'm not sure whats wrong with it but I'd like to tear the mirror apart unless someone else has a better route to take?

Old 11-27-2014, 10:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Look at the wiring diagrams, determine which wires are for mirror heat. Pull the connectors at the door out where you can play with them and first measure the resistance of the heating coil in the mirror. If it's open, (infinite resistance) there's your problem. I don't know if just replacing the glass would fix that... as I am unsure how they work.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:51 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine didn't work when I got my 01 either, but that's because the PO had unplugged half the crap in the doors. Both of my mirrors were unplugged at the glass, and both doors had the door jam switch removed. "If it doesn't work, don't repair and replace, just unplug it." Stupid stupid.

The heating element is glued to the back of the glass. If you have to replace it, it's sold by the parts stores as a single unit. Make sure you tell them it's the heated glass, otherwise they'll order you the $9 replacement glass without the frame or heater or anything else. Ask me how I know.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:15 AM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

Haha ok thanks guys. I didn't know if taking the mirrors apart would be better or just tapping into the wires would be the best solution. Guess I'll find out what my issue is and go from there.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:58 PM
zgravity

I had an issue with my mirrors on the 2500 I recently purchased. I did find the solution though. I discovered that on the bottom left side of heater controls there is a button that read Mirrors. I discovered it when I was looking at the heater controls from the passenger side as that little pesky button was obscured by the steering wheel. I pressed the button and they worked! Who knew as I didn't.
A little humor for you to laugh at!!! Enjoy!

Old 12-06-2014, 12:07 AM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

Haha glad you fixed your issue! Mines different tho, the heating element in my driver side mirror has never worked for me before.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taking apart mirrors