2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

auto to manual?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 12:53 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

You need to change the pcm! As Scooter78 said, It will keep trowing codes because the auto is not there. The auto has the temp sensor and three other solenoids that are missing now.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:56 PM
Timothy Watrous
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry moparite... it a 94. so your wrong...

Old 02-17-2015, 09:23 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timothy Watrous
hey you. yes it had the temp sensor in it... it also had factory lines without the check ball in it....

scooter. i droped a np435 in and the 97and newer flywheel works i just shimmed my crank sensor...

now the overdrive and temp codes... wile doing the swap. i noticed the wire harness had the plug for the clutch pedal sensor... it just had a plug with a wire looped back... now in theory i should be able to use a similar trick for the overdrive... being that i have an overdrive off switch... ?

for the temp sensor i guess i could just plug it in or make a port for it in the np435...?

I suppose you could try to trick the pcm into thinking there are readings coming from the sensors. As long as the signal they are supposed to send is a simple on/off and not a variable reading. So... Yes, I think that would work with the overdrive. The temp sensor could either be left alone, and it will forever throw that code, or you could indeed find a way to make it functional in your new trans.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:44 PM
Timothy Watrous
Professional

i was just looking at the wiring diagram for the overdrive. and the overdrive on off switch is a momentary switch... so im not sure if i can make a dummy plug work...
pg 622 of the 95 service manual

Old 02-18-2015, 01:12 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see. It is indeed. Hmmmm. Not sure how to fool that one. I didn't bother. My PCM throws codes for overdrive solenoid, trans temp and I think one or two other trans related items. My pcm and wiring is also from a 1994. I think my only solution would be to find a standard trans pcm. Preferably one without the California emissions flash and the "death flash"

Old 02-18-2015, 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

The PCM looks for an RPM drop when it commands TCC, or O/D. That is not something you are going to be able to fool. If you don't want the CEL on for trans codes, the only option you have is replacing the PCM, with a unit that expects a manual trans.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:30 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Timothy Watrous
hey you. yes it had the temp sensor in it... it also had factory lines without the check ball in it....

scooter. i droped a np435 in and the 97and newer flywheel works i just shimmed my crank sensor...

now the overdrive and temp codes... wile doing the swap. i noticed the wire harness had the plug for the clutch pedal sensor... it just had a plug with a wire looped back... now in theory i should be able to use a similar trick for the overdrive... being that i have an overdrive off switch... ?

for the temp sensor i guess i could just plug it in or make a port for it in the np435...?

can you elaborate on this.. have any pictures? Does your truck like to stall out when you push the clutch in sometimes?

Old 02-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Timothy Watrous
Professional

on my auto when i installed the manual pedals and master and slave. next to the fire wall under the dash, the wiring harness is held in place by a sheet metal bracket. the wiring connector for the clutch sensor... safety start up... was tucked away with a dummy plug with a wire looped back to it self... so i took out the dummy plug and plugged in the the clutch safety sensor...

Old 02-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And that was it? Everything worked?

I did not notice any such thing, but I did not really looked.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:30 AM
Timothy Watrous
Professional

hey you... the pcm doesn't always look for rpm drop for overdrive, because you can turn overdrive on and off

Quick Reply: auto to manual?