2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

passing gear issues

Old 12-08-2014, 05:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

WHAT? Don't do that. Get the heavy duty BW set from electricaladvantage (seller) on Ebay. 100 bucks. Better than stock solenoid, pretty much the stock sensor though I think.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:29 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2^^

Sorry , should have told you . The drain plug is available at performance parts shops . I use a B&M

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...0250/overview/

Where you located ? I'm in AB

Old 12-09-2014, 11:34 AM
1rocket

In southern Ontario here. I'll check out some of the other specialty shops in the area. I know of one that might be able to get the BW parts for me for around the same price. He was pretty good for the rims and cat back system I got. Any further thoughts on the TV cable stuff I mentioned a couple of posts up?

Old 12-14-2014, 06:14 PM
1rocket

I would love to just throttle the stupid *** engineers that put things in the worst possible spots. Oh for the sake of a half inch left or right! Anyways, got everything all switched out----new filter, new sensor and solenoid, bands adjusted. Changes gears a lot smoother, although they shift out at a bit higher revs than I'd like. Now, I still have the over rev with no shift part happening at WOT. I would assume that in order to shift a little sooner, it's just a matter of adjusting the TV cable out a notch to tighten it up a little more. But any ideas on what to check next on the over rev? I still have some engine problems with the timing and I'm starting to think that maybe it's not revving smooth enough to build speed to get the gears to switch over. Changing out the crank sensor in a couple days to see if the timing smooths out more, but if that doesn't help, where would be the next spot to start looking at? Thinking timing chain, but not sure. Still no codes coming up, at a loss!

Old 12-15-2014, 12:00 AM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this problem only when you put the engine under a load? maybe take a video of it? and just so you know the tv cable if you pull it towards the firewall your making it shift later and firmer, vs pushing it in towards the front of the truck it will shift sooner and softer. is your tranny problem only in 3rd gear or any gear? i had my torque converter start kickin a little bit, and i put this stuff called Dr.Tranny into it and has not had a problem since. good stuff.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:28 PM
1rocket

Really not sure if this is trans related or engine. Drove it this week on both highway and country roads. Kept a close eye on it and noticed that it only seems to be first gear and only between 3/4 throttle and to the floor. It'll wind up and shift without a problem from a stop. Only seems to act up at high speed. Almost makes me wonder if it's tps related, but I changed that out a couple weeks back and truck didn't like it one bit. You can get so far with the pedal and then get the problem to start happening every time. As well, still no codes, but did get the flashing engine light when I matted it. Once I let off, the light stopped flashing and stayed out.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Flashing CEL is telling you the engine is missing on one or more cylinders. Might be related to your problem, might not..... in all reality, the no-shift-at-wot is pretty standard. A possible "real" fix for it might be the GM conversion...... replace the dodge governor pressure sensor/solenoid, with a GM set. It's about a 200 dollar conversion though.... WITTRANS sells them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: passing gear issues