2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Abs & brake light

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Forcer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs & brake light

Did an axle swap on a 01 Ram 1500, both front and rear to dana 60's. The "new" axles came from a 98 3/4 ton. The transmission AND transfer case came along for the ride also.

The problem I have is the ABS light and BRAKE light are on. The donor truck didn't have these lights on before it got torn down. Everything plugged in both on the transfer case and rear axle. Both trucks didn't have 4 wheel abs, well there was no wires on the dana44 and there was none on the front dana60. I went to advauto to see if there was any "hidden" codes for the abs but came up with nothing. I also checked out the part numbers between the the two axle sensors and apparently they are the same.

So what do I need to look at next?

OR is it just a need to bleed more? Air bubble?

Old 12-16-2014, 11:32 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you use the original wheel speed sensor or the donor one?

Old 12-16-2014, 11:41 PM
Twistedtrax

I can tell you why my brake light stays on in my 01 ram, my Ebrake. I have to pull the handle and pull up on the pedal with my foot to make it go off, and need to look and see if i can adjust the switch so it stops coming on with every bump. also read up and see if there is a specific way to bleed the brake system, just in case

Old 12-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Forcer
Rookie

Used the donors sensors plugged right in and checked the part numbers of both the 9.25 and 60 they are the same.

Bleeding was a two man job. I was inside and STU was cracking the bleeders after he cleaned up the rear adjusters and set the shoes. We ran a lot of fluid through to get a nice clear steady drain.

The manual says to use a jar with a hose to do so but I believe that is just to collect the fluids.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:48 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How to bleed the system 2wd abs Ram 2nd gen

Bleed the master
Bleed the combo valve
Bleed the ABS valve
Bleed pass rear
Bleed driver rear
Bleed pass front
Bleed driver front

Edit, Did you compare the master from the donor truck to the one you have now are they the same size bore and fluid capacity.

Quick Reply: Abs & brake light