2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Losing 100 Miles Per Tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:48 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Lets not turn this into yet another mileage thread.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:57 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting 10.4 now with 35s and 3.55s. Sucks but can't do anything about it. I'll have to correct the odometer when I get 37s I'm sure. I heard there's a little piece that goes in the rear carrier.

Not sure on it all though. I only glanced over it at the time.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:22 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChillyPhil
I'm getting 10.4 now with 35s and 3.55s. Sucks but can't do anything about it. I'll have to correct the odometer when I get 37s I'm sure. I heard there's a little piece that goes in the rear carrier.

Not sure on it all though. I only glanced over it at the time.
Speedo sensor is on the back of the tcase held on with a clamp . You mark the index , pull the sensor , and replace the gear inside to correct your mph . It pulls off the sensor . Google should provide your answers to which gear and tell you where they are available . I know with jeeps they went up quite a bit in price . Make sure your index marks line up when you reintall

Old 12-18-2014, 02:25 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Originally Posted by onegoodmason
Speedo sensor is on the back of the tcase held on with a clamp . You mark the index , pull the sensor , and replace the gear inside to correct your mph . It pulls off the sensor . Google should provide your answers to which gear and tell you where they are available . I know with jeeps they went up quite a bit in price . Make sure your index marks line up when you reintall
Alright, I'll look into it. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2014, 03:19 PM
topkin
Veteran

Originally Posted by jkeaton
You do mean losing 100 miles per tank, not 100 MPG.....
Yes sir, thought about that one a little late.

Originally Posted by ReadRam
I average 9-10 mpg now in winter, mostly city miles with a lot of idling. Summer is usually 10-12 mpg. Your under 8 mpg, could be better. Could always try changing the thermostat to a 195 and see if it helps.
I've thought about it, but I changed over to the 180* due to pinging after flashing the towing tune into my computer.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What brand O2 sensors?
Bosch I believe, hard to remember. I changed them last winter, and was averaging 13 mpg. 14.5 freeway was the highest I recorded this last summer.

I warm it up sometimes in the summer because I see morning temps in the 30's pretty consistently through July. The truck is never garaged. My driving is a combo of highway town and rural driving, but that hasn't changed

My last HALF tank, I got about 70 miles until the gas light came on...

Old 12-18-2014, 03:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

May wanna try some better O2 sensors. At least replace the pre-cat with an NTK, or Denso unit.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:48 PM
topkin
Veteran

They are NTK, both upstream and down. I crawled under there and wipe them clean to find out because I couldn't locate the receipt, they have about 8k on them...

Does anyone have any experience using the data loging option with the Superchips flash paq to monitor air/fuel ratio?

Old 12-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran

Try running a few tanks of 91 octane, you will notice an increase in power and better mileage. Just because these trucks are designed to run on 87 octane gas doesn`t mean that's ths best thing to use. My trucks (08 Ram 1500 4.7 and 2000 Ram 5.9 both 4x4)
run like crap on 87 octane gas and are way down on power. I run nothing but 91 octane gas in both trucks and there is a very noticeable difference in power and mileage.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:35 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Nothing but 91 here too . You get what you pay for . Only on my 2nd tank with this truck so far . First was 87 . Felt like an old dog to me . 2nd was 91 and now I barely touch the pedal to cruise up hills . Got at least 100 miles extra so far , and the 2nd tank was running much larger tires . 245/75/16 vs 275/60/20 .

Old 12-22-2014, 07:16 PM
topkin
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ram Driver
Try running a few tanks of 91 octane, you will notice an increase in power and better mileage. Just because these trucks are designed to run on 87 octane gas doesn`t mean that's ths best thing to use. My trucks (08 Ram 1500 4.7 and 2000 Ram 5.9 both 4x4)
run like crap on 87 octane gas and are way down on power. I run nothing but 91 octane gas in both trucks and there is a very noticeable difference in power and mileage.

The towing tune I am running requires 91. I have been running 91 for several months straight now....

Also, my understanding of octane is that the higher the octane number, the higher the temperatures inside the cylinder needs to be for detonation. This is why high compression motors or forced induction vehicles (turbos, superchargers) require a higher octane. When the cylinder compresses all that extra oxygen it heats up the fuel and air too fast causing pre-combusts known as "pinging" or "engine knock". Same effect with high compression motors... less space between head and cylinder, the oxygen and fuel heats up during compression, gets too hot before spark, and boom.. you have pre detonation, easily solved by a higher octane.

Say I am having the same issue running on no tune and 85 or 87 octane. I would assume increasing the octane with the colder temps out would cause me to not efficiently burn all the fuel/air in the cyl. getting worse gas mileage.

Now... I come hear to learn so please correct me if I am wrong, but i think I'm on the right track on the octane/combustion subject.

I'll prolly try this data logging first to see what my air/fuel ratio is.... but I guess I may try a warmer thermostat and revert back to stock tune for the rest of winter. kind of a bummer because I have grown attached to my towing tune and its shift points, but it's the only option that makes sense right now..
Maybe i'll try a 185* does someone make a 190*

Quick Reply: Losing 100 Miles Per Tank