2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help, headlights goes out... Plz...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Tammynwes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help, headlights goes out... Plz...

Not good at knowing where to post questions, lol... But my ole man has a 96 Dodge Ram 1500..After bout 10 minutes of going down the road, if he has brights on for a lil bit, they all just got out??? If he keeps them on dim, they don't go out as often mainly on high? Could it be a ground wire or maybe a relay switch... Freaks me the hell out when going down the road and they go off on us.. LoL... It's like they're over heating or something?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:39 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Are they OEM or aftermarket? Moving to the correct section so you can get some help. Not sure if there is a separate relay for high beams. Someone will chime in.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:43 AM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How handy is your ol man? I would replace the headlight switch and upgrade to a HD relay kit they sell at LMC truck. Its a common problem with those years.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:26 PM
DodgeFanMP
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had a similar problem in my '01...

Originally Posted by Tammynwes
Not good at knowing where to post questions, lol... But my ole man has a 96 Dodge Ram 1500..After bout 10 minutes of going down the road, if he has brights on for a lil bit, they all just got out??? If he keeps them on dim, they don't go out as often mainly on high? Could it be a ground wire or maybe a relay switch... Freaks me the hell out when going down the road and they go off on us.. LoL... It's like they're over heating or something?
It turned out the wire that controls the low beams had gotten loose at the connection on the terminal block that mounts on the steering column. It started out like your problem - the low beams would randomly cut out while driving, and it seemed related to the movement of the steering wheel. Eventually the low beams would only work with the steering wheel tilt adjustment all the way up; if I lowered the wheel after getting into the truck, the low beams would cut out.

I ended up repairing it fairly easily myself. Your issue may be different, but it might be worth checking the wiring at the steering column to see if anything is loose.

I posted a YouTube video detailing my repair...if you are interested, I can post the link here.

Last edited by DodgeFanMP; 12-19-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Typo. correction.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:42 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's a circuit breaker in the headlight switch, and your symptom is perfectly in line with the proposition that that circuit breaker is malfunctioning.

PS: Now that I've got a few more minutes to think about it, you might also have a corroded or burnt connector on the headlight switch causing heat that will make the circuit breaker open. Either way, if it were mine I'd replace the headlight switch in addition to any conductor or connector that looks suspicious just to make sure that it's a once and done repair.

Last edited by UnregisteredUser; 12-18-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Shoulda thought a bit more...

Quick Reply: Need help, headlights goes out... Plz...