2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad Flex plate or loose bolts ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 06:25 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Any idea WHY it gave up the ghost at such a tender age? Plenum been fixed? Been running to rich??
I'm as lost as you on that one . It still worked , so to speak . I can tell by the different exhaust smell . Never stopped it from rattling .

The plenum is as clean as you could hope for . Wasn't rich IMO , not since I had it . Being parked in a garage , I'd know . I'm just chalking it up to Chrysler's bad cats . Not clogged , the catalyst comes loose in the shell , then starts deteriorating causing the rattles from being loose . In my case , it was probably blocking the exhaust at times . That's my take anyways . I'll know soon enough .

Never got for a ride yet but that's coming in an hour or 2 . Sure seems more responsive to the gas . Oh yeah , and sounds great with the Magnaflow I installed . I'll know if this was my issue or not and let you know tonight .

BTW , thanks for helping . Something you said clued me in on the cat .

Last edited by onegoodmason; 12-22-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:16 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cat was definitely an issue . Not 100% , but 75% for sure . I think the other remaining issue is in the trans . Just gotta grab some oil and a filter to swap the governor pressure solenoid and switch . Do a band adjustment while in there and hopefully not have to go back in after that . Maybe Santa can get me a new B&M alum pan with a drain plug to make changes easier . I love 'em on my jeeps

Quick Reply: Bad Flex plate or loose bolts ?