2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 dodge ram 1500 leaking clearance (cab roof) lights

Old 12-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Libertarian Ray
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 dodge ram 1500 leaking clearance (cab roof) lights

Getting significant amount of water in cab in front of driver and passenger seats. Carpets soaked. Clear water lines on inside of windshield somewhat correlating to clearance lights. No water spots on headliner. Lots of water. One light clearly separated from cab roof. Appears some water inside front of light assemblies. Alot of water however after several heavy rains. Pulled about a half gallon out today with a wey dry vac. May have several sources of infiltration, not sure.

Need to repaint roof down the road. All lighst original and operating and not cracked. Screws rusted. Would prefer to not replace lights. Searched for gaskets which do not seem available. Would prefer not to use any silicon or rubber based sealants since I need to paint. Would like to find some type of gasket even if I buy something and cut to fit myself.

Original replacements impossible to find,; used not reasonable. Recon led's have problems with amperage and my alternator runs at about 14 amps which would burn out anything 12 v rated. Also again ....would prefer to keep original.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated as to light gasketss as well as suggestions as to other possible sources of water as I think there may be more than one. Truck was also backed into the front bumper by a drunk driver fleeing accident scene which may have added to problems.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

You can get rubber in sheets in various thicknesses from most hobby stores. Parts store may have something similar.

Have you called the dealer to see if they can get the gaskets?

Third brake lite, and the spots in the rear window seal where the cab water channels come back are great places for water to come in as well.

Make sure your door seals actually seal.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:59 AM
Libertarian Ray
Amateur

Great idea. Will call dealer tomorrow and then if that does not work, off to hobby shop. Thanks again oh forum God.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou

Make sure your door seals actually seal.
The big guy already covered the lights, but I wanted to add that the door seals are a possibility too. I had a leak on the pass side that drove me nuts. It happened only after heavy rains and I thought it was the roof lights but it turned out water was wicking in past the door seal and getting under the carpet. Replaced both door gaskets and the problem is gone. Something to think about after you take care of the roof lights.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:34 PM
Libertarian Ray
Amateur

So HeyYou and JimmytheFan hit the nail on the head! Thanks guys. Not sure if this should even be a titled under a new thread or if I can change that beccause there is no leaks from lights. Packing, moving, unpacking and whatnot held me up with dealing with this problem which has been such a pain and worry. Meanwhile Roof headliner fabric had come undone (from moisture) and carpets ruined. And so decided to hit all at once.

Removed mouldings, other items and all seats but the driver's seat. No water from the cabin lights at all. Turns out the water is coming in the doors like you both suggested. Rather than use a hose, I did it by sections with a bucket and found EXACT locations on gasket seals at tops of doors.

Three fold problem:

1. Noticed the water is coming in through top of door around the gaskets, pretty much near center towards outer edge of doors. On driver's side, it drips onto seat and along carpet floor. Also the weep holes are filled on the bottom of the door. Top of the door frame seems to have moved out a short distance and is now about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch (maybe a tad more) out of alignment on corner of outside of door. (In other words, the corner of the door is sticking out a tad but comes into alignment as you move further away from the corners and no problems on the inside corner or side of the doors.

2. Same problem with alignment on left side but smaller outward movement AND less water infiltration. Also having problem with water draqining out of door. Open door and the water comes out of door after a rain. Closed and the water remains inside of the door.

3. The rubber mouldings/weatherstrip on the door where window goes up and down seem like they have developed a gap and need replacement so they fit tightly againstthe window allowing less water to run down window to inside of door.

Not sure what to do now. Definitely will get new weatherstripping/gasket around door. Questions are:

1. Is there a way to bend back that door corner area? Or realign? (In the corner). Looks like someone maybe tried to break in or get in and bent it or time has had it's way with it.

2. Can I replace that strip along the bottom of the window where it rolls up and down into the door?

3. Should I pull off inside of door moulding and clean out inside of the doors and then I assume will need to do some rust repairs inside of the door.

Have to get this done before the new headliner and floor. Also will have rust to deal with under rugs no doubt. Any suggestions about fabric dealers, rug dealers or gasket parts replacements would be appreciated.

At this point, main focus of course is to halt the water infiltration. I don't need my seats and all of the other crap bak in at any particular time and would rather go step by step and do things the right way.

Thanks in advance guys....as always. :-)

Old 04-07-2015, 09:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

First, make sure your door hinges are good. The pins like to wear, and the door no longer aligns properly.

Once that is addressed.... Roll down the window. Put your knees against the inside of the door, (with the door open....) grab the top of the door, and pull. Be careful though, it IS possible to simply fold the door in half. Funny to watch, but, not funny, or cheap... to fix. Just tug a bit, test the fit. If it needs it, tug some more. If the seals aren't physically damaged, don't need to replace them. (door seals)

Won't hurt to clean out the doors. These trucks are notorious for the bottoms rusting out, and now you know why.

LMC truck has the window belt seals for relatively cheap.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Libertarian Ray
Amateur

Thanks as always HeyYou. Will give it a go and let you know.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:10 PM
quartz36
Amateur

Try flex seal.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:05 AM
quartz36
Amateur

No I'm jk just make sure when you replace the seals (anywhere) you get them in all the way and not too tight in sensitive areas.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:50 PM
2damnyankee
Veteran

I have had the same problems as you are now, I went to a speed shop and got rolled cork made a pattern for clearance lights. Then I changed every window in the truck, That was NOT it, tore all interior out and sat in it during rain storm. water was coming in from door seal at the glass hitting the new aftermarket door speakers and water was pouring in thru the door speaker. so I made a plastic flap to go over the top and rear of speaker and problem solved.

Now as for the door weep holes being clogged there should have been clear tape over the weep holes, if so just peal off water will run out faster. if not and really clogged remove door panel and vacuum out the doors. as for the window weather seals JC Whitney sells them in a set. or I'm sure Ebay, Hey You, got the tweaking the door rite on the money, but I would check the door pins first like he said for up and down movement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 dodge ram 1500 leaking clearance (cab roof) lights