2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Silly transfer case question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:27 PM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silly transfer case question

So this 98 2500 is my first "real" truck and the first one I've had w/ 4x4.

Ho do I go about shifting the transfer case into 4x4? The owners manual said there should be a 4x4 light that comes on, but the gauge cluster looks totally different from the book illustration, and there doesn't seem to be a 4x4 light; at least one doesn't come on when the cluster does the light check.

I know this is kind of a silly/noob question, I just want to make sure I'm not driving around in 4x4 on dry pavement.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:47 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To shift: Rolling on a surface with some slip to it (not dry pavement) between 5MPH and 50MPH, shift the trans into Neutral (or disengage the clutch if it's a manual trans), grab the transfer case shifter and quickly and firmly pull it straight back, then shift back into gear (or let the clutch pedal back up again). You should see the 4WD indicator in a second or three. If you're in 4WD but the light's busted, you'll feel the steering being heavier, especially when turning. If you don't feel the steering get heavier, you're probably not in 4WD.

If you don't seem to be getting 4WD, try stopping and backing up a few feet. Sometimes that works.

To shift back to 2HI, again get into Neutral (or disengage the clutch), quickly and firmly shove the transfer case shift forward to the first detent, then shift back into gear or engage the clutch.

To get into 4LO is almost the same but you have to be rolling below 5MPH or dead stopped, and shove the transfer case shifter all the way forward, through its Neutral, and getting back to 2HI you pull back to the second detent (because the first one behind 2LO is Neutral).

If it's not a happening thing, inspect the vacuum lines between the CAD (front axle, central axle disconnect) and transfer case, and from the intake manifold back to the transfer case. They're the usual cause of the CAD not moving.

Last edited by UnregisteredUser; 01-26-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I have an auto, and don't bother shifting to neutral, I just let off the gas, and give a yank on the ol' expensive stick.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:22 PM
issakar
Captain

Does it seem odd that I don't have a 4x4 light come on during cluster self check? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really new to this kind of vehicle.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:16 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran

Originally Posted by issakar
Does it seem odd that I don't have a 4x4 light come on during cluster self check? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really new to this kind of vehicle.
happened on mine and it was just a bad switch. its on the front axle passenger side. cheap fix. and if you want to make sure you are not in 4wheel just get under the truck and see if you can spin the front drive shaft by hand. if you can your in 2 wheel drive. if it doesnt spin your engaged. Do Not drive on dry surfaces (pavement) if is engaged

Old 01-28-2015, 01:22 PM
issakar
Captain

Any idea how much dry pavement driving would be bad? I've put probably 60 miles on the truck since I got it, and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been in 4x4, but just in case. Should it be hard to put the case in N and 4L?

Old 01-28-2015, 02:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Don't drive on hard surfaces in 4x4 at all. It's REALLY bad for the driveline. But, if nothing has broke yet, then, nothing is broke. Don't worry about it.

Neutral is very rarely, if ever, used. Unless you want to flat tow the truck..... 4Lo can be a pain, on mine, I shift to 4hi first, get moving, barely, let off the gas, and YANK the stick back into 4Lo. If you pause in neutral, you pretty much have to shut off the engine to get back into some flavor of drive gear...... otherwise, it just makes rude noises when you try.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:41 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Don't drive on hard surfaces in 4x4 at all. It's REALLY bad for the driveline. But, if nothing has broke yet, then, nothing is broke. Don't worry about it.

Neutral is very rarely, if ever, used. Unless you want to flat tow the truck..... 4Lo can be a pain, on mine, I shift to 4hi first, get moving, barely, let off the gas, and YANK the stick back into 4Lo. If you pause in neutral, you pretty much have to shut off the engine to get back into some flavor of drive gear...... otherwise, it just makes rude noises when you try.
Thx for the info. Does yours go (from top to bottom)

4L
N
2H
4H

I don't think anything's broken, but I guess I don't know for sure. There's a small click from 4H to 2H for me, and I haven't been able to go to N or 4L as of yet. I was also just playing with it in park, engine off and engine on.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:12 PM
issakar
Captain

well I finally saw a 4WD light come on when I put it in 4L because I got stuck in my driveway on a slight little slope. 4H couldn't do it but 4L just creeped me right up

Old 01-28-2015, 07:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Nah, mine goes 2Hi, 4Hi, N, 4Lo. They changed the shift pattern in 98.... no clue why. But, for you, shifting to 4Lo, just be rollin' slow, take your foot of the gas, and STUFF it into 4Lo. Once you do it a couple times, you will figger it out.

If you are stuck, and just spinning the tires, a cupful of kitty litter by each tire, and then GENTLY easing into the gas to get it moving will work darn near every time. (even on glare ice.)

Quick Reply: Silly transfer case question