2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4 Wheel Drive Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:03 PM
zgravity
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Wheel Drive Problems

I had my right front wheel bearing replaced and now my 4 wheel drive is funky. It goes into 4 wheel drive, the indicator light is on but it grinds when you drive it then goes away but there is a constant whining noise. Forget reverse as it seems like it comes out of 4 wheel drive and only the rear tires spin and spin and spin. It also feels like it isn't in 4 wheel drive at times all the time the indicator light is on.
I may have narrowed it down to either the transfer case. the drive shaft or the front axle itself as there is a metal grinding noise that goes away as I drive but makes it's comeback when shifting into reverse and back into drive and step on the gas especially in drive.
Could it also be either the left wheel bearing or the axle shaft.
It slams with the grinding noise and plowing snow is a pain as I got stuck 3 times and had to be pulled out on a slight incline on ice.
IF anyone know what the problem may be so I can narrow it down when it goes into the shop so I can save some money.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Check the vacuum connector on the CAD, passenger side of the front axle. Might have gotten knocked a bit, and not sealing properly.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:19 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Or the shop screwed something up with the install of the hubs. Take it back!

Old 01-28-2015, 02:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Or the shop screwed something up with the install of the hubs. Take it back!
I bet they pulled the stub axle out, and the collar in the cad fell off.....

Old 01-31-2015, 12:12 PM
zgravity
Default Transfer case

Thanks everyone who responded. The problem was the transfer case as it ran out of oil and went suicide. This is what happens when you buy a used Ram and thought you had the mechanic check the fluid levels but didn't. Lucky for me it only cost me 500 for the T case and 270 to install it. I got away cheap on that one. If I only had him check the fluids when I bought it.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:21 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

You didn't notice a huge leak like that before you bought it? The TC is completely sealed up so I would think it would make quite a mess if it grenades. Not bashing, just curious. Granted, it's only a quart and half of ATF but still. . . sorry to hear that.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:23 AM
zgravity

Originally Posted by Ramman18
You didn't notice a huge leak like that before you bought it? The TC is completely sealed up so I would think it would make quite a mess if it grenades. Not bashing, just curious. Granted, it's only a quart and half of ATF but still. . . sorry to hear that.
The only fluid that was leaking was the power steering fluid from the cooler. It was my own stupidity that I didn't check all the fluids at the time as money was tight but I thought I told the mechanic to check them all. Only thing with the new transfer case is it sounds like it's howling but that could be also from replacing the Transmission mount or it could be the front drive shaft which can be replaced no problem, but the T Case does engage and works just fine. Beauty is it came with a 6 month warranty from the junk yard. I did notice my gas mileage got better and it drove smoother in 2WD. So I'm not complaining. Now to fix the cruise control and get a new front seat. Do some body work and it will be a nice running truck after I do the lifters on the heads which are a little noisy and I can live with that for a little while longer.

Quick Reply: 4 Wheel Drive Problems