2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Working on my 2nd Gen. Suggestions appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 01:15 AM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zildjian3707
Far as the plenum goes its going in monday, and ill work on getting a water pump.
Seriously, do the plenum, water pump, and timing chain all at the same time. Coolant goes through the intake, so you'll have to drain the system to get to the gasket. Why drain it again in two weeks to change the pump?

I see it has new cap/rotor/plugs, but this will be the easiest time to switch to one with brass contacts if the existing cap is cheap. Check it out.

Yes, you need to replace the timing chain too. Right behind the water pump, plus like six more bolts. I wouldn't recommend the "advance timing" setting on some of the double roller chains- I used it and saw no discernible difference.

Then I'd recommend replacing the thermostat and temp sensor too, since the intake will be off anyway and system drained.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:57 AM
zildjian3707
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks i got a 4x4 shop doing the plenum repair. ill go ahead and get a water pump. i've got a brand new thermostat to put in to. What timing chain should i get, im not to familiar with that part. Just a replacement one at autozone or?

Last edited by zildjian3707; 02-11-2015 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Go with a double roller, .25 chain pitch, set. Manufacturer doesn't really matter. I put the SA Gear in mine from Advance Auto. Works great, installed easy. Cloyes, crane, and other cam manufacturers make them as well... but, you pay for the name too. (although, I think any of them are within 5 bucks in price of each other.)

Old 02-11-2015, 01:15 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Don't forget the bypass hose on the intake. Take a look at the heater hose pipe that goes in the water pump. You need to reuse it if you can if not you need a new one. It also has a fitting that needs to be changed over to if i recall. Might want to put in a 180* stat in.
Yes, you need to replace the timing chain too. Right behind the water pump, plus like six more bolts.
You need to pull the balancer and tc gear on the crank. Just make sure you have a puller and socket to fit the bolt.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:16 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran

ok so i got a new pcv valve, 180 thermostat, hughes plenum, new water pump, and a double link timing chain? i think thats what i ordered. But its all to set to go in monday, the shop is giving me a good rate, and they've done hughes plenums before so thats good.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:22 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Use a pcv valve from dealer for correct flow, to quote HeyYou. You mentioned in first post that it's using coolant, it maybe an additional issue the plenum repair won't fix...

Last edited by ReadRam; 02-12-2015 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 02-13-2015, 06:44 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran

Originally Posted by ReadRam
Use a pcv valve from dealer for correct flow, to quote HeyYou. You mentioned in first post that it's using coolant, it maybe an additional issue the plenum repair won't fix...
It's not using that much coolant, just enough that I have to top it off every few weeks. generally the overflow never stays full.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Any clue where its going? Mine does that too, and never leaves a spot on the ground....

Old 02-13-2015, 10:57 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran

i wish i did, i never seem to leave anything on the ground on the driveway or parked at work. i mean my plenum isnt fixed yet till monday, so im hoping maybe that can attribute to some of the loss. i can definitely link my oil loss to the plenum. My truck has never overheated *knocks on wood* so i don't worry about it too much. I usually check everything under my hood at least once at week even if im not worried about anything. Im also replacing the water pump as well. Its possible that the tubing in spots could have small leaks. There could be air pockets developing in their too and what not. I mean for all i know the overflow could be "overflowing" while driving. I think i might fill her up to the brim and drive around with the cap off back and forth to work one day and see if getting rid of potential air pockets helps out. Also i live in california so antifreeze is really useless around these parts. i usually fill it up after a flush with half and half, but i just top it off with water if it gets low.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:23 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran

alright i got the new plenum in, a new thermostat, new water pump, new double roller timing chain and a new upstream o2. Fresh oil change and coolant. Been a few days, she hasnt used a drop of either. Anyway im wondering if since everything is cherry now if i should use any additives or fuel system cleaner to clean out anything since the manifold is all pretty again.

Quick Reply: Working on my 2nd Gen. Suggestions appreciated