2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Prepping for Plenum fix/tune-up, do I have it all?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 05:11 PM
schmidtp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepping for Plenum fix/tune-up, do I have it all?

With spring around the corner (or not, its always unknown in Wisconsin) I am starting to get my parts list ready for my tune-up.

I bought this a couple months ago with 128K and all I have done so far is put on an intake from my previous truck, replaced the oil pump, pickup tube, and gasket. I am still sucking oil so I am sure it is the plenum that needs to be replaced. Since it was from a small town dealer its hard to tell when the last full tune up was done and since the parts are so cheap I figured I would do it all. Below is what I have planned to do all at once.

-Plugs, wires, cap, rotor
-Water pump, thermostat
-Huges plenum plate, Fel Pro plenum gasket
-PCV Valve
-O2 Sensor
-Possible timing chain

Is there anything else I should consider while I have the keg off?

Thanks!

Patrick

Last edited by schmidtp; 02-26-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

You also want a PCV valve for the valve cover. You also need new intake manifold bolts which is included in the Hughes Plenum kit if you get the whole kit. You also want a new air filter if it hasn't been replaced already. And a side note on your cap & rotor make sure to get one with brass terminals not the cheap ones. And when you do your plug wires be sure to follow the TSB on plug wire routing.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:09 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe new NTK o2 sensor on the upstream? and possible a new double roller timing chain since your right there...its only like 5 more bolts after the water pump

Old 02-25-2015, 06:56 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Ryan,
Yes you should change out your upstream 02 sensor since you do not know when the last time it was changed.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The fel pro gasket kit. Not that veal hughes sends you.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:03 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Don't forget the by pass tube! I used lock washers on the plenum bolts with lock tight on them. If i recall the kit just gives you grade 8 bolts. Still cant figure out why they did that. It's only going in cast aluminum. I reused my intake bolts even though you are supposed to replace them. No issues I think the gaskets that Hughes sends with the kit are cheap. Should come with them for what they charge for an aluminum plate with holes in it.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:12 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Your so close to doing the t-chain it's almost irresistible . I doubt the chain is overly stretched , but , that damn timing cover gasket is prone to leak . Yeah , the balancer has to be removed , but , Most 5.9's at that K need or have new ones . Visually , the seal in the damper starts coming out and you may see some oil at the crank seal , with the engine running , it would wobble . You need to look at it from a side angle . Have a look at it as well . Both are common issues so catch it now if it needs doing , and you're right there !

Old 02-26-2015, 11:17 AM
schmidtp
Veteran

Wow! Thanks for all the responses, this is perfect, I just don't want to overlook anything. I am fortunate enough to have two vehicles so if I am working on it after work for a week that is fine.

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
You also want a PCV valve for the valve cover. You also need new intake manifold bolts which is included in the Hughes Plenum kit if you get the whole kit. You also want a new air filter if it hasn't been replaced already. And a side note on your cap & rotor make sure to get one with brass terminals not the cheap ones. And when you do your plug wires be sure to follow the TSB on plug wire routing.
PCV Valve added

Originally Posted by ryan0714
maybe new NTK o2 sensor on the upstream? and possible a new double roller timing chain since your right there...its only like 5 more bolts after the water pump
I am getting the O2 sensor warning code so that is another one to be replaced.

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
The fel pro gasket kit. Not that veal hughes sends you.
Added

Originally Posted by Moparite
Don't forget the by pass tube! I used lock washers on the plenum bolts with lock tight on them. If i recall the kit just gives you grade 8 bolts. Still cant figure out why they did that. It's only going in cast aluminum. I reused my intake bolts even though you are supposed to replace them. No issues I think the gaskets that Hughes sends with the kit are cheap. Should come with them for what they charge for an aluminum plate with holes in it.
Are you referring to the water pump tube?

Originally Posted by onegoodmason
Your so close to doing the t-chain it's almost irresistible . I doubt the chain is overly stretched , but , that damn timing cover gasket is prone to leak . Yeah , the balancer has to be removed , but , Most 5.9's at that K need or have new ones . Visually , the seal in the damper starts coming out and you may see some oil at the crank seal , with the engine running , it would wobble . You need to look at it from a side angle . Have a look at it as well . Both are common issues so catch it now if it needs doing , and you're right there !
I forgot about this, I remember reading that it is worth replacing if you are almost there anyways.

Last edited by schmidtp; 02-26-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

The bypass hose goes from the water pump, to the intake. It might be all of four inches long.... good idea to replace, since it has to come off anyway.

Doing the timing chain, and water pump while you are in there really is a good idea. I was startled at how much slop there was on mine when I was in there. (but then, at 170K+ miles, I guess I really shouldn't have been surprised.)

Old 02-26-2015, 12:27 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed with the above suggestions.

If you do tackle the timing chain, then just plan on dropping the oil pan. Check the rear main seal. Check oil pickup and visual inspect bottom end. Get new oil pan gasket.

The issue that can bite people is not seating the timing cover and oil pan together properly.

Quick Reply: Prepping for Plenum fix/tune-up, do I have it all?