2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4 hole fuel injector comparison video

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 05:38 PM
ClubCab5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bjpomeroy
Just out of curiosity. How can the stream flash boil on initial startup? Nothing has come to temperature yet. Wouldn't this cause the fuel to stay as a liquid causing flooding?
No not flooding but it would cause reversion back into the intake manifold causing major backfire out the throttle body due to the piston still traveling upwards when the valve is just starting to open. The piston will push the fuel out not suck it in.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Close, but no cigar. The cam sensor is 'on' for once crank revolution, and 'off' for the next. It's the switching of the signal that clues the PCM in to whether 1, or 6 is in firing position, not to mention it is only a REFERENCE signal, when the injector actually fires is determined by the PCM. Not some switch in the dist.

Yes, the valve is PARTIALLY open. But, given that it has been on the open cycle for about 20 or 30 degrees, (depending on year) and the duration is 274 degrees, it sure ain't open very far. (and that's gross duration, not duration at .050.)

As for your last statement, I completely agree.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:15 PM
trucklover
Veteran

I added these 4 hole injectors to my truck this past Christmas, and I really don't feel any more power, the mpg's are exactly the same. I did no other mod's at the time I installed them. My truck has a lopey idle due to the cam, and there was no change there either. I wonder if I adjust the fuel sync a little if it would make any difference? I am at about +4 now.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:42 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Originally Posted by trucklover
I added these 4 hole injectors to my truck this past Christmas, and I really don't feel any more power, the mpg's are exactly the same. I did no other mod's at the time I installed them. My truck has a lopey idle due to the cam, and there was no change there either. I wonder if I adjust the fuel sync a little if it would make any difference? I am at about +4 now.
I see you list of mods is close to what mine will be once in . May I ask what your MPG's are ?

Assuming from your mod list , most or all were on when you did the injectors ? Kinda hard to smooth out idle with a lumpy cam . Those results don't really surprise me except it's disappointing not to hear "some" improvement or difference in some respect .

IMO , you could play with the sync a little if the DRB is handy for you . +4 seems a tad high , but your not mentioning any ping either . Main thing it not too much so it jumps the spark to the cap . From my researching , and memory , +3 sounds about where you should be with your cam . Boosted or turbos run +6 - +8 . Moving your map line to your intake is also said to improve idle (higher MAP signal at idle = better idle).

I really miss the good old days , vacuum gauge and a timing light , you were golden , lol . Thanks all for your input .

So far , it's at least not a negative , more of a neutral consensus . Oh well , I'll have peace of mind knowing their flow matched and new .

Old 03-03-2015, 12:30 PM
trucklover
Veteran

Originally Posted by onegoodmason
I see you list of mods is close to what mine will be once in . May I ask what your MPG's are ?

Assuming from your mod list , most or all were on when you did the injectors ? Kinda hard to smooth out idle with a lumpy cam . Those results don't really surprise me except it's disappointing not to hear "some" improvement or difference in some respect .

IMO , you could play with the sync a little if the DRB is handy for you . +4 seems a tad high , but your not mentioning any ping either . Main thing it not too much so it jumps the spark to the cap . From my researching , and memory , +3 sounds about where you should be with your cam . Boosted or turbos run +6 - +8 . Moving your map line to your intake is also said to improve idle (higher MAP signal at idle = better idle).

I really miss the good old days , vacuum gauge and a timing light , you were golden , lol . Thanks all for your input .

So far , it's at least not a negative , more of a neutral consensus . Oh well , I'll have peace of mind knowing their flow matched and new .
I am getting around 10.5-11mpg around town driving normally and about 12mpg on the highway. I may try playing with the fuel sync a little when I get time. I have the snap on MT2500, but it is still a pain to adjust the distributor, even with the M1. I have had the engine with the mods listed for a few years now, and the mileage has been pretty consistant. But, in order to take advantage of the new type of mist you get with these injectors, it may make a difference to adjust the sync. I may start at zero and work my way back up to see where it feel the best at.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:30 PM
tweeker909
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Close, but no cigar. The cam sensor is 'on' for once crank revolution, and 'off' for the next. It's the switching of the signal that clues the PCM in to whether 1, or 6 is in firing position, not to mention it is only a REFERENCE signal, when the injector actually fires is determined by the PCM. Not some switch in the dist.

Yes, the valve is PARTIALLY open. But, given that it has been on the open cycle for about 20 or 30 degrees, (depending on year) and the duration is 274 degrees, it sure ain't open very far. (and that's gross duration, not duration at .050.)

As for your last statement, I completely agree.
so clucab is correct the intake valve is open when the injector fires that is good to know. 274 duro would be advertised which isnt consistent way to spec out duration and can vary greatly from one manufacture to another. duro @ .050 is much more accurate way. case in point comp20-602-9 is advertised at 262 so the stock cam has more duro. dont think so. stock cam duro is around the 185@.050

Old 03-23-2015, 11:33 PM
tweeker909
Professional

I am getting around 10.5-11mpg around town driving normally and about 12mpg on the highway. I may try playing with the fuel sync a little when I get time. I have the snap on MT2500, but it is still a pain to adjust the distributor, even with the M1. I have had the engine with the mods listed for a few years now, and the mileage has been pretty consistant. But, in order to take advantage of the new type of mist you get with these injectors, it may make a difference to adjust the sync. I may start at zero and work my way back up to see where it feel the best at.
which injectors part # did you install. got pics to share.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:28 AM
trucklover
Veteran

Originally Posted by tweeker909
which injectors part # did you install. got pics to share.
INJECTOR #XF2E-C4B

Here is a link to the injectors:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Year-Warranty-OEM-Ford-Motorcraft-Fuel-Injector-Set-8-XF2E-C4B-/271389313502?hash=item3f301049de&vxp=mtr
And here is a picture I took this morning one of the installed injectors:

Attached Thumbnails 4 hole fuel injector comparison video-phplyz6uham.jpg  
Old 03-26-2015, 05:17 PM
tweeker909
Professional

INJECTOR #XF2E-C4B

Here is a link to the injectors:

3 Year Warranty Ford Motorcraft Fuel Injector Set 8 XF2E C4B | eBay

And here is a picture I took this morning one of the installed injectors:
THX for sharing. Fast search of your injectors come up with a 19# at 39psi 3.5lbs less then stock. Could be the reason you didnt feel much...Id get a retune hemifever if you havent but no mention of it in your posts.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:26 PM
trucklover
Veteran

Originally Posted by tweeker909
THX for sharing. Fast search of your injectors come up with a 19# at 39psi 3.5lbs less then stock. Could be the reason you didnt feel much...Id get a retune hemifever if you havent but no mention of it in your posts.
I question the guys at FiveOMotorsports about that very same thing and this is what they told me:

My question: I have been researching the XF2E C4B injectors for a 2001 Dodge Ram. Your site lists this injector at 22lbs and everywhere else it lists the injector at 19lbs. Which is correct?

Their response: Actually they are both correct because Ford lists all their injectors at 80% duty cycle or 39 psi. Everyone else lists injectors at 100% duty cycle or 43.5 psi. In your vehicle it is considered to be a 22 lb injector, and the XF2E will be a 4-hole, performance upgrade when compared to your stock injectors.

I hope they are right!

The last time I went to Hemifever to get him to change the idle speed on my engine he told me that going forward he would charge me for any more modifications. I reminded him that the tuner I bought had lifetime free updates and he told me "It was mainly unlimited on existing configurations that I've let get outta hand through the years lol." He also said "Once a tune is dialed in and its running fine, for naturally aspirated combo's there will be $75 tune fee's for customers that make alterations that require re-tunes. Something like an idle change I don't see myself being concerned with in a fee. But a cam change, injector change, etc will be tune re-do's"

I really had not had a lot of changes done by him. Maybe five or six at the most. And most of them were minor tweaks from the original tune for my engine. I never had any major changes from my original tune.

Last edited by trucklover; 03-27-2015 at 03:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 4 hole fuel injector comparison video