2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trouble Cranking...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:46 PM
2001Off-Road
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Cranking...

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 off-road. 5.9, etc.....

From time to time, my truck will not crank. It's weird because when I cut it off the night before, there seems to be no trouble. It turns over fine, but acts like it is not getting fuel. When it does this, sometimes it will sputter a bit and blow a little smoke out of the air filter. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on. Once the engine cranks, I usually do not have any more trouble for several days. However, it did it two days in a row and now I am starting to get a bit concerned.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Engine won't crank? Or won't fire?

Old 03-04-2015, 08:48 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Scan for any stored codes in the PCM . Gotta know if there are any secrets inside the PCM

Confirm the condition of the battery , and clean the terminals . Rule out any electrical power issues . Nice to see a load test performed . Weak power=bad performance in modern vehicles .

Test fuel pressure with a gauge . Maybe it was giving you hints on the pump . Gotta rule it out .

Weak spark ? Maybe a weak coil . When was your last tune up ? What was done ?

Possible IAC issues . Ever clean up your throttle body and IAC ? Here's a nice little how -to if you don't know : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...-valve-756934/

Old 03-04-2015, 08:50 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Engine won't crank? Or won't fire?

It turns over fine, but acts like it is not getting fuel

Old 03-05-2015, 08:26 AM
bjpomeroy
Rookie

Did you check fuel pressure at the rail?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:41 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Cranking and turning over are the same thing. It is so confusing when people don't realize this. "My car will crank but it won't turn over", or "My car will not crank but turns over fine". WTF!?!?!? If it "cranks", it is "turning over"!! The proper way to state this so people understand is: "My car cranks (or turns over) but will not START".

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-05-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Cranking and turning over are the same thing. It is so confusing when people don't realize this. "My car will crank but it won't turn over", or "My car will not crank but turns over fine". WTF!?!?!? If it "cranks", it is "turning over"!! The proper way to state this so people understand is: "My car cranks (or turns over) but will not START".
X2! Can't tell you how many times i seen this on the forums! Until the OP gets back and deciphers what the post was saying we all are scratching our heads.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:31 PM
Flue
Veteran

Just went through something very similar to the issues it 'sounds' like your having. Cranks and cranks and cranks, but never catches, when it finally does gotta work it to keep it running. Other times it will start right up.

CKPS took care of the issue. but only after I phitzle farted with every other sensor under the hood. could have saved a buck twenty if I'd gone with the Crank position sensor first.

But mine mostly acted up in the cold, when it was warm out it 'normally' worked fine...with a hiccup here or there.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:56 PM
2001Off-Road

OneGoodMason, I will look into those suggestions you made.
Thanks Flue. I will definitely look into that Crank position sensor.
For those of you who are trying to fix my phrases, you are not helping with my truck, which, is why I came here. You knew exactly what I was trying to say. If you did not, then you need not reply, because if you do not understand what I am saying, you cannot help me. Find another post to gripe on!

Old 03-07-2015, 08:58 PM
2001Off-Road

I have not really checked anything yet, I was just trying to get a few ideas on where to start, seeing how I am not a knowledgeable mechanic. Got to start somewhere right??

Quick Reply: Trouble Cranking...