2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

vp44 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:51 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vacuum pump..no 4x4?

Okay quick question well it's probably not going to be quick... So 99 24 valve 2500 we were swapping out the power steering pump and the bracket that connects to which I believe is the VP 44 forgive me I'm new I'm not sure if that's what it is I know it the vacuum pump I don't know it just seems VP stand for vacuum pump anyway but the bracket that connects from there to the power steering pump broke.
Was able to weld it back together. I left one of the bottom bolts out the one closest to passenger side. I will put it in just didn't feel like screwing with it anymore. same day I put my transfer case in& now no vacuum.Hooked it up to a smoke machine no vacuum leaks but we can't seem to get any vacuum out of anywhere. so when my buddy undid that bracket is it possible that the vacuum seal got damaged and is creating this problem? again I do not know much about these trucks and even less about the VP 44 and what it does can someone please help me out? Thank you.

Last edited by cutthroatxxx; 03-04-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:42 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VP44 = high pressure fuel injection pump.

Vacuum pump is sandwiched between the power steering pump and the timing cover, under the injection pump.

Gould sells a kit for fixing the seals on the vacuum pump. It's pretty straight forward. That video will teach you way more than you ever wanted to know about the vacuum pumps.

And in your other thread when you said your mechanic broke your VP44, it would have been a much bigger tragedy. This makes more sense.

Last edited by horatio102; 03-04-2015 at 10:45 PM.

Quick Reply: vp44 4x4?