2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lift my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Jonfarmer
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift my truck?

Hello,
I'm looking to lift my truck but I'm not sure how high I should go. I was thinking of doing a rough country 5 in with 35's, would this be too much. it's my daily driver I get on the hwy for a few miles daily. I would mostly be doing mudding and using it to get to hunting spots. I'm not sure if I should do that or a smaller lift and run 33's from what I've read the smaller tires are better for mudding. At least that's what if got from what I've seen. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Jonfarmer
Amateur

Just wanted to add that it will be my first lifted truck

Old 03-09-2015, 01:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Suppose tire size depends on how deep the mud is.

Something else you need to consider though, would be gearing. If you still have the stock 3.55 gears (which I highly suspect) 35" tires are just going to kill your low-end torque. 33's will be a bit better..... but you will still lose.

So, first thing is to decide what size tires you really want. Then go from there. 3" lift is usually good for 33's, 5" is good for 35's. Either way, you are going to want to swap your gears as well, and that is not an inexpensive undertaking.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Jonfarmer
Amateur

I do still have the stock gears. I have the 5.2 and I think the ratio is a little different then the 5.9 but I could be wrong

Old 03-10-2015, 07:16 AM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you "should" swap the gears to help keep the torque levels where they are supposed to be. but let me tell you, since you drive on the highway alot it wont be bad to run 33's and the 3" lift for now. just remember its gonna seem a little slower. right now im runnin 35s with stock gearing and i dont mind really but i also have alot of power adders, but im going to be putting 4:56-4:88 gears in on down the road. like i said, gears are something that can be done later. just get your lift and tires and see what you think, everyone is different. and easiest way for your setup to get gears would be to find an offroad edition ram that came with the 4:10 ratio, steal those axles and bolt them under yours. eazy swap.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:14 PM
BigGreenRam
Professional

I did a lot of reading and a lot of research I'm running stock 3.55 seems to be fine I love how mine came out still not done I guess I never will be but hey it's payed for get what u like your the one paying the bills

Old 03-12-2015, 11:34 PM
2damnyankee
Veteran

305 75 16 are actually 32 1/2 in tires and the 315 75 16 is a 34 1/2 inch tire. your lift will be for ground clearance the only true clearance is the one between the dirt and the bottom of the axle. A 5 inch lift will indeed lift the frame up from the axles and clear the so called 35" tires, which will in reality only give you 3 more inches of clearance from ground to bottom of axle, plus in order to get taller tires rolling you will be in the gas longer with stock gearing. if you want to have a lifted look and clear 305's get a body lift, also what kind of tires are you planning to run? and what off set wheel ? bigger wider tire on stock wheels will rub regardless, now if you plan on getting just taller tires for stock width wheels you should be ok from the rubbing on the frame, I wouldn't know about stock some of the other guys on here might be able to help better help on that. I got the 305 75 16 on a 10 inch wide mickey Thomson aluminum wheels with a 6 inch deep 4 inch back spacing so mine stick out a little ways. Nothing a fender flare can't handle.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:42 PM
Jonfarmer
Amateur

So do you get more clearance with the 305 75 16 and 3 inch body lift the. I would with the 5" and 35's? I see you have the air gap intake and big gulp how is that set up? I installed the air gap about 2 months ago and just ordered the big gulp the other night.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:29 AM
2damnyankee
Veteran

Originally Posted by Jonfarmer
So do you get more clearance with the 305 75 16 and 3 inch body lift the. I would with the 5" and 35's? I see you have the air gap intake and big gulp how is that set up? I installed the air gap about 2 months ago and just ordered the big gulp the other night.

I just gotten my truck legal from sitting 3 yrs ago with a blown engine. My motor is a complete rebuild. The main reason I got the intake was, So I didn't ever have to worry about the plenum gasket ever leaking again. The Big gulp well that was a plus for the better intake, and the headers were cheaper than new stock exhaust manifolds plus they sound better. I haven't even drove the truck 5 miles yet.

As for your question 305 will give you 2 1/2 to 3 inches more clearance than stock, the 315 will give you around 3 to 4 inch clearance from stock, It all depends how much money you want to spend, Remember bigger tires need bigger gears.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:49 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

if you change the gears in the diffs does that mess up the speedo? have to get it calibrated?

Quick Reply: Lift my truck?