2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cam Question...ya I know great...another one

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 11:04 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beeker
Can of worms is right, cause you need adjustable roller rockers with a cam install, thats another $430, and don't forget hardened pushrods and guideplates. With a cam install stick with 1.6 ratio rockers, let the cam do the lifting. My cam install is still not running great, think it's the lack of a custom tune but one step at a time.
You don't need adjustable rockers with a cam, just the correct length pushrods which is usually stock length. And you don't need guidplates with harland sharp rockers which then means you don't need hardened pushrods.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:01 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snowboundrmk
You don't need adjustable rockers with a cam, just the correct length pushrods which is usually stock length. And you don't need guidplates with harland sharp rockers which then means you don't need hardened pushrods.
Thanks for the correction. Think my cam was an odd one cause I ordered it to match my 1.7s instead of getting rockers to match the cam.

The 1.7s are 3/8ths pedestal mount, the rocker studs that come with are 3/8ths on the rocker side and 5/16ths into the head, direct fit. Stock valve covers have good clearance, fine unless you get the adjustable rockers. In that case you'd modify your valve covers or get taller ones.

Last edited by beeker; 03-12-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:11 AM
Big Joe C
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Straight from Harland Sharp: * Harland Sharp original series, pedestal mount, Dodge 5.2/5.9 Magnum V8, roller rockers are designed to be a replacement for the factory rocker that fits under the stock valve cover.
* Simply remove the factory rockers and rocker stands and replace with your new Harland Sharp roller rockers. We recommend always checking for head & valve cover clearance and proper lifter preload.
* The non-adjustable rockers are designed to the factory specs. If you change camshafts or machine the heads, you will have to correct your pushrod length. Always check before installing. We recommend them only to be used for serious racing applications.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:19 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Joe C
Straight from Harland Sharp: * Harland Sharp original series, pedestal mount, Dodge 5.2/5.9 Magnum V8, roller rockers are designed to be a replacement for the factory rocker that fits under the stock valve cover.
* Simply remove the factory rockers and rocker stands and replace with your new Harland Sharp roller rockers. We recommend always checking for head & valve cover clearance and proper lifter preload.
* The non-adjustable rockers are designed to the factory specs. If you change camshafts or machine the heads, you will have to correct your pushrod length. Always check before installing. We recommend them only to be used for serious racing applications.
The kit comes with everything you need, it fits.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:48 PM
Big Joe C
Professional

Yep and a buddy of mine can get it from his parts guy with $100 off.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:16 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the 1.7 rockers,, 5.2 cam has more lift than a 5.9 cam in years ago resesch it was like .432/.432 lift then put the 1.7 ratio on that Its around the same as the cam swap,, 1.7 will change the Duration also by a hair on the mouth of degs the intake and exhaust are open

if you where going to cam RT cam which lift is like 510? ish , but like said rockers will be close

but **** cam and springs and a tune bah bah bah ,,,, just get rockers

Old 03-14-2015, 07:29 PM
Big Joe C
Professional

Yep I don't want cam headaches. I'm stickin with 1.7s and an sct tune

Old 03-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Yup... I have stock 5.2 noted as .270"/.270" lobe lift and .432"/.432" valve lift (1.6 rockers).
With 1.7 rockers you should be .459"/.459" valve lift.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:00 PM
tweeker909
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Why would you need to pull the heads? Intake would have to come off to do the cam, that I will certainly agree with..... I am also curious why hughes would want you to replace your lifters... not like theirs are any different. Valve springs and such, yeah, I could believe that too, depending on cam selection. You will probably run into most of that no matter what cam you choose though...... Not to mention, the custom tune it may require. (another 500 bucks.) May want to just sit on the money, build up a bigger pile, and do that when you rebuild the motor.
stock lifters can not take the heavier valve springs that are required with the smallest of cams..they will collapse under the higher valvespring rate.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by tweeker909
stock lifters can not take the heavier valve springs that are required with the smallest of cams..they will collapse under the higher valvespring rate.
What are you basing that on?