2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help!! Truck wont stay running Ram 1500 5.9L

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:34 PM
Rehms
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Truck wont stay running Ram 1500 5.9L

Ok, So here is the deal went to change my plenum no big deal, Done it before. this time for some reason tho i changed the plenum put everything back like i had the 2 times in the past doing the same plenum on the same motor i go to start it and it will not stay going, Like a big vacuum leak due to bad intake manifold gaskets, put in IAC and MAF sensor from a truck same year same motor i know work. Still no luck it will run with IAC unplugged at about 2k idle. Maybe this time i just torqued my bolts all wrong in an off sequence? not sure what else to guess, checked all the vacuum lines and everything else i could think of to check other than just taking and swapping another intake manifold into it and seeing if that fixes it. i know head gaskets are good. but after this issue im getting antifreeze into my oil which makes me think my intake is screwed? because ive put 2 sets of good gaskets on it and still having the issue. Anyone have any imput on what would be the best way to solve this issue? im thinking new intake manifold or even a take off from another truck.

Truck is a 1995 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 5.9L (360)

Thanks to anyone who can give me help, Haha im lost at this point dont know what would be the best next move!

Old 03-23-2015, 08:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Disconnect the battery again to reset the PCM. (leave it off for about 10 minutes, or, just switch the headlights on/off, and then hook it back up.)

Turn the key to On, (not start) count to ten, crank the engine. Give it a little gas if you have to to get it to start.

If it still won't idle on its own, just hold the throttle open a bit to keep it running, till the temp gauge starts to move. Then see if it will idle.

Might just need to relearn idle....

Old 03-23-2015, 08:46 PM
Rehms

Hey you...Thanks ive tried that a couple times already after doing everything itll kind of calm down a little and run ok for about 30 seconds but as soon as your completely off the gas itll die again.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:15 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

How old is the battery?
Couple weeks ago mine ran dead and after I jumped it the truck would not idle at all. Could only keep it running with my foot on the gas.

Threw a new battery on it and it was totally fine. Might be worth looking into.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:31 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

but after this issue im getting antifreeze into my oil which makes me think my intake is screwed?
It's not the intake it's how it's mating to the heads. What gaskets did you use? Fel pro or el cheapo? Did you torque the bolts down in sequence to the correct torque? Also remove all the old gasket material from the heads/intake and clean the surface prior to putting on the new ones. Did you change the oil after you did it. You always seem to get some coolant that gets in the the crank case when you pull it off.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Rehms

I used fel pro and yeah i changed the oil it was clean till i tried running it I'm not sure what to check now maybe just change the gaskets again and make sure the surfaces are perfect? I've done this before and surfaces looked about the same as they did last time but for some reason its not running like it did last time lol

Old 04-01-2015, 11:05 PM
2damnyankee
Veteran

Did you use new bolts when you changed out the intake? The intake bolts are Torque To Yield TTY. One time use only, If you reused the same bolts every time I am surprised you didn't snap a couple, plus if you used new ones, Did you get from dealer or did you buy them some where else? The only reason I ask, The bolts can bottom out making it seem tight but your intake isn't tight at all.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Rehms

Well I got new bolts grade 8 same length same size everything. i grabbed em at work cuz I know we use good stuff they won't break. And I torqued them to spec in order to the right foot pound. I'm jut beginning to think I'm gonna have to buy a new manifold and if I do that I may buy one from the trucks without the egr and just do EGR delete on it

Old 04-02-2015, 10:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

One of your gaskets didn't just slip on install did it?

Old 04-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Rehms

Could have I got a different intake yesterday cleaned it up and tonight in gonna install plenum belly pan and try to get the intake in the truck my question is I got the fel pro intake gasket set. The front and rear gaskets are cork type gaskets where do I put RTV and also do I put any one the intake gaskets or plenum?

Quick Reply: Help!! Truck wont stay running Ram 1500 5.9L