2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gas pedal like a rock

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 05:09 PM
snookhooked
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas pedal like a rock

Hello, Its been some time since being in here but I just cant win. lol.
I went in the tranny and replaced the 3/4 accumulator spring and after new oil/ filter. I was ready to see if it cured my problem. ( by the way, the spring was broken in 3 spots) pan didn't have any metal. I refilled the trans oil and went to drive it and the gas pedal is as hard as a rock. tried to test drive but its acting weird but maybe that's with the gas pedal issue. I went under the hood and did a throttle check which seems fine but the pedal is just I would say stuck or limited to movement. Would you guys have any ideas on what to look for? would it maybe be the trans? everything came out and went back in ok.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Check and make sure the cable routes under the little plastic block on the throttle arm. If it doesn't, you are trying to pull basically straight across, and that just doesn't work.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:37 PM
snookhooked
Professional

Hey YOU. I haven't touched anything other than replacing the part in the trans. I just dont understand the problem with the pedal being hard. I can go out to the throttle body and it revs just fine. I never moved any cables but I will check those in the morning. Thanks

Old 03-30-2015, 10:57 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by snookhooked
Hey YOU. I haven't touched anything other than replacing the part in the trans. I just dont understand the problem with the pedal being hard. I can go out to the throttle body and it revs just fine. I never moved any cables but I will check those in the morning. Thanks
Did the truck sit for a while? Maybe have a helper hold the throttle open while you try the pedal and see if it's hard then. If so, it may be something with the accelerator pedal assembly itself.

Did you have to do anything with the throttle valve/throttle valve cable to do the work you did?

Last edited by issakar; 03-30-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:27 AM
snookhooked
Professional

Did the truck sit for a while? Maybe have a helper hold the throttle open while you try the pedal and see if it's hard then. If so, it may be something with the accelerator pedal assembly itself.

Did you have to do anything with the throttle valve/throttle valve cable to do the work you did?

All I did was change out the spring for the overdrive deal and put in new filter and pan gasket. the truck has only sat a couple of days. I went to do a test drive and now the gas pedal is just barely moving. I just dont have a clue to why?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:38 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Disconnect the TV cable to the trans , and then try the cable for cruise . Still got a problem ? Check throttle cable for free movement . Disconnect it , hold it and have someone "gently" push the pedal . Still an issue ? check the TV cable for free play . Simply crawl under and find the lever it's attached to on the side of the trans (smaller of two with cable routing towards the rear looping to the front , other is gear selector) . It should spring back and forth with little force . This will also move the cable . Any stiffness in the movement could be your issue . Disconnect and double check cable free play in lever and cable separately . If it turns out the lever is not springing back nicely , you may have to pull the pan again but I can't figure out how a simple spring change could effect this unless there was maybe a 4th part to your old spring . Even then , it's not possible for it to get outside that enclosed spring/piston area .
Check what I said and see if you can find anything . Coincidences do happen . I put a trans in one day , backed out the jeep and it died . Crank sensor went after 5mins of idling so nice . **** happens

Last edited by onegoodmason; 03-31-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:47 PM
snookhooked
Professional
Smile

Turns out that pedal issue is too much slack cable or worn out. I did a quick band aid and its fine but now dealing with the adjustments for the TV cable. Thats just going to be micro movements till I find the right spot. Thanks for the help guys as always.

Quick Reply: Gas pedal like a rock